The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 524 Posts

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GAME COMMISSION PRAISES PASSAGE OF HOUSE BILL 2042

HARRISBURG -- Pennsylvania Game Commission Executive Director Vern Ross today praised the state House of Representatives for passing Rep. Merle Phillips's bill to empower the agency to sell special licenses allowing hunters to take an additional wild turkey beyond two currently provided for as part of the general hunting license. The measure, House Bill 2042, passed the state House by a vote of 186-1, and currently awaits consideration by the Senate Game and Fisheries Committee.

The Pennsylvania Chapter of the National Wild Turkey Federation, a statewide organization with more than 25,000 members, has endorsed the bill.

"The creation of this license will allow Pennsylvania hunters the opportunity to buy a second license for a second turkey in the same season," said Ross, an avid turkey hunter. "If enacted, this will in no way impact hunters' current ability to harvest one spring and one fall turkey as part of their general hunting license privileges.

"I want to offer my thanks to Rep. Phillips for introducing this measure and to all the members who voted in favor of it."

The licenses for a second turkey are proposed to cost $20 for residents and $40 for non-residents. Revenues from the special licenses could be used to implement and fund the Game Commission's turkey management plan and further educate turkey hunters, thereby promoting the recreation and safe hunting practices.

Those wishing to take advantage of the license would be required to first secure a hunting license, and then apply for the new license for a second bird. The number of licenses allocated for a second turkey, as well as which seasons hunters would be permitted to take a second bird, will be established by the Pennsylvania Board of Game Commissioners and will take into consideration turkey populations in specific Wildlife Management Units.

Ross said that, if the legislation passes the Senate and is signed into law by Governor Edward G. Rendell, it is the intention of the Bureau of Wildlife Management to recommend to the Board of Game Commissioners that a second license be approved for the statewide spring gobbler season as soon as practical. He also stressed that the Bureau of Wildlife Management would continue to review data about the state's turkey population and make adjustments to its recommendations to the Board as necessary.

Ross noted that Rep. Phillips, a lifelong turkey hunter, has been actively involved in hunting and fishing issues and in the past has worked with the Game Commission to create special youth projects, including the recently completed youth spring turkey hunt.

For further hunting and trapping information, visit the Pennsylvania Game Commission's website (www.pgc.state.pa.us). For information about wild turkeys, click on "Wildlife" then choose "Wild Turkey."

·
Super Moderator
1,739 Posts
Its about Time they did this! I'm glad to see they are finally going to do it. Looks like I won't have to go to other states to hunt an extra bird now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
HB 2042 passed the Senate Game and Fisheries Committee - 10-0, and will be placed on the Senate's calendar for vote. Hopefully this vote can be scheduled in June before the summer recess, and the bill can be passed as written.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/turkey_track.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/turkey_track.gif

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
HB 2042 came out of Senate Appropriations yesterday, and is scheduled for a vote by the entire Senate today. Let you know tomorrow how the vote went.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/turkey_track.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/turkey_track.gif

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Is that correct...the NWTF endorsed the bill !! I've been a member since 1976 and this will be my last year if that's true...It will not have any impact states ROSS, who's he trying to kid, 10'000 more dead will have no impact, yeah right, there goes 1/2 the 3 year olds with 1 inch hooks, SAD day indeed!!

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Frank not only is it true, but we helped push and supported revenue being used for wild turkey management plan in our review meeting with Rep. Philips and meetings with PGC Staff. Frank, Pennsylvania is on track for continued increase of its wild turkey population, while adding additional hunting opportunities for those hunters that have helped pay the bill over all those years - 1950's-1990's. Check out the new PGC Hunting Digest Annual column on wild turkey management. Tells the Story.

Since PANWTF has been pushing for a turkey license, since 1978, we have recommended that license revenue be used for turkey management. Legislators did not like a turkey hunting license [spring and fall turkey hunters] they tell me it was a tax, PGC did not like a spring turkey hunting license when revenue ear marked for turkey management so a compromise in HB 1979 was proposed - that was not run because turkey hunters wanted ear marked funding and the timing was wrong. Special additional turkey tag HB 2042 is now on the table, currently in the Senate. While next to last on my list of revenue generating funding for the wild turkey management plan, as I have been told be satisfied with this first step in the process.

I will never be satisfied, until.... but I am willing to continue to work for the wild turkey resource with this small step for wild turkey management funding, while continuing my NWTF membership to be able to express ideas, issues, objections, with resolutions.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
HB 2042 passed the House 200-0 to concur with Senate amendment to add word "special" to wild turkey tag. Legislation now goes to Governor Rendell for signature into Game Law, Title 34.

PGC will be tasked at writing the Regulations, Title 58, to cover the additional special turkey tag. More to follow once Governor Rendell signs the legislation. That official signature signing needs to be done before any official regulation can be written.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Governor Rendell signed HB 2042 into law, now becomes part of Title 34 - Game Law Code. PGC Regulations to follow later this year or early 2005.

·
HPA Admin Approved Vendor
6,173 Posts
Frank and Boyers after over thirty years that's it for me too.
I have sponsored my last Banquet.
Let those who supported this do it.
Griz /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad2.gif

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
i can't believe they're going to try to fix what isn't broken. turkey hunting in pa is awesome. so lets kill more? a few years down the road, you'll be hardfast to hear a gobble because too many will be killed off. what's next? move the season up a month so we can kill them BEFORE they breed? this state is really getting on my nerves. they won't be happy until there's no game to be taken.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad2.gif

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
You guys are absolutely correct...this will NOT help the wild turkey in PA at all in any way, shape or form!! Can you imagine what the slob hunters who already kill 5 and 6 a year will do with an extra tag, the PGC does NOTHING to inforce the bag limits as it is, NOW they are going to have an extra tag!!! The biologists and the NWTF big wigs can say what they want about it and I'm so POed about it that I can't get it out of thoughts for long, this is the worst thing that has every been done in the name of the wild turkey in PA, it was not and is not NEEDED. For the last thirty years I planted 100'000's of thousands of autumn olive, bar-berry and countless other shrubs and trees both on SGC's and privite land "all" to increase the population of my beloved bird and the population "did" expand to what is now the most birds that have ever walked on the soil of this state. AND now to do this after all this work, for the SAKE of CASH and PROMISES about what we WILL do, it's a sham and further now a slap-in the face of all those who did all that was done over the last 35 years..and to think of all the chapters and hard work that was done by countless numbers of dedicated troppers...I think both the NWTF and the PGC missed the mark on this one !!!! It is a SAD SAD day indeed !!

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
You guys..... I vaguely remember 1) the start of spring turkey hunting season back in 1968, Jerry Wunz's two articles in Game News about the Spring Gobbler Season, which I have now read many times. Then I and a few others, that were vocal and correct, got bloodied during the 2) PGC Turkey Game Farm closure shutdown [which by the way happened to be the 3rd best wildlife management decision to ever happen for wild turkey populations in Pennsylvania]. Likewise 3) fall rifle issue in the mid 1980's, and 4) the Mandatory Orange Regulation issue in 1991-1995 and again in 2003, 5) support expanding turkey hunting opportunities for spring and fall seasons in the 1990's- 2000's.

The first two were said by old time turkey hunters and wildlife management staff to be the death blow to turkey hunting in Pennsylvania, and I believe after 20-30 years those comments, dis beliefs, and public opinions, have been proved to be inaccurate and wrong since the wild turkey population climbed from 120,000+- to 350,000+-. Jerry Wunz and Arnie Hayden had the right ideas after all, and the Biologist were listened to, for the most part. And the rest of those stories Jerry and Arnie so professionally and accurately wrote about in Game News are now history. Number five is wild turkey management history by itself.

The last four were spelled out as death blows to the PA Chapter NWTF in Pennsylvania, and as I count we have increased NWTF memberships, created and increased annual funding capabilities for wild turkeys. PA Chapter NWTF has helped create new NWTF Outreach Programs for kids, women, hunters in Pennsylvania, and continues to seat forward thinking chapter leaders who work to make the Wild Turkey Management Plan first priority in our Resource First and Make Habitat A Habit visionary thinking.

Jerry and Arnie created the footprint that leads to 500,000 wild turkey population by 2025. The first two 25 year windows are history - the 3rd 25 year window is on track. You should stick around and enjoy the ride, your membership does count, but you need to continue to put and give something back - our third vision. Takers are what started the deer management problems in the 1980's.

I even remember a Game Protector quote to me personally back in 1978 - you guys [PA Chapter NWTF] won't last 5 years, well 26 years later we are here. NWTF accomplishments have would fill an encyclopedia, our defeats a hand full, our impact - monumental for wild turkey management and future management and recreational opportunities. Like I said it's the people and the wild turkey resource. As long as these two are kept front and center the PA Chapter NWTF will be around 30 more years. As for wild turkeys and turkey hunting, that will be up to the leaders and wildlife managers in the next three 25 year windows.

·
6,173 Posts
Frank, you have summed it up, as far as I am concerned we got sold out, it's all about money and from now on they are going to do without mine and if the powers to be think I am the only one they had better think again there are a lot of upset folks out there who feel the same way.
Getting a ticket to a fund raiser is going to be a lot easier now I think. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Griz /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

·
Registered
845 Posts
I joined in 1977 and have sponsored a banquet for the last ten years so I have stuck it out.But this does absolutely nothing for the turkeys benefit.If we have bad hatches like we have had the last two years what is the purpose of killing more off?

·
Registered
25,510 Posts
If it's being left up to the turkey biologist to determine whether or not a particular area will have any "bonus" tags, how will they ever "kill them all off", bad hatch or not.

One would think that if an area suffered through a few harsh breeding cycles, that area would remain off-limits to any such program, since it likely would not have a surplus turkey population.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
If we are counting on the so-caled turkey biologists to decree if the season is needed WE ARE IN BIG TROUBLE !!!! Heck, they didn't even know that there was basically NO-hatch in Pa last summer, the three week season went on as usual...their response one year later, shorten this falls season, SOMEONE needs to get their act together down there, this is almost funny, if it weren't so serious... WE..the concerned turkey lovers may need to start a rebellion !! Maybe we should all call for the resignations of all those in charge, from the PGC to the NWTF !! Someone had better start using their head instead of thinking about cash and promises!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad2.gif Heck, with all the good and bad of Antler restrictions and herd reduction..even ALT doesn't allow more than ONE, ONE buck, wonder why ???

·
Registered
845 Posts
Never said kill them all off.I said why kill any more off! In your typical fervor to defend the PGC your mouth kicked in before you read.There is absolutely no benefit from this except generating more funds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wave.gif

·
Registered
25,510 Posts
Just because the line has your handle on it doesn't mean it was addressed to you personally, just clicked on the last reply to the topic, which was yours. Go read your fellow pizzen moaners comments above, was meant as a general response to all that was said.

Then again, if the shoe fits, wear it with pride. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Have far less fervor for defending the game commission than I do disgust at reading all the horsefeathers from folks that should know better, but apparently don't. Game commission can defend itself.

·
6,173 Posts
Sorry but until the NWTF got involved the PGC was spinning their wheels for years trying to get the turkeys back here in Pa. "just" like they have been doing with the pheasants.
Their idea is to appoint another biologist to do a costly study have him hire a few cronies get a grant somewhere and once that cash is gone well start another study.
Give me a break, when are some guys going to wake up and realize we are being taken for a ride here and have been for quite a while, if the GC would have listened to the folks from Pheasants Forever a while back we just "may" have started to see some wild birds coming back but no they have to do more studies. But if the wild birds are ever brought from out of state and established here you can darn sure bet who's going to try to grab all of the credit.
I was going to say I am sorry about the way I feel but I guess I'm not I am just fed up and never thought it would come to this.
Like everyone else here I also am entitled to an opinion and that is mine. If you think I'm pizzing and moaning thats too bad but I have better things to spend my hard earned money and time on now than any organization that I feel sold us out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hotbounce2.gif
I have a stack of Sponsor Certificates from just about any organization thats out there now and have served on banquet committees on several for many years so I paid my dues and feel that I have every right to my opinion while many were sitting back and reaping the rewards from the efforts of those involved I was not I was in there trying to help in any way I could finacially or giving of my time to make the goals happen.
So if "anyone" thinks I am pizzing and moaning your very wrong I am "screaming" mad!
Griz /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hotbounce2.gif

1 - 20 of 524 Posts