The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a silverado back in 08, I bought a 4.8L because the dealer knocked almost 14k off the sticker. It's been almost 6 years, the warranty has expired, and I want to do a few performance mods. Anyone have any experience? Only catch is I don't want to sacrifice reliability and some comfort.

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
Pull the anemic hamster wheel motor and install a big block.
There is no replacement for displacement.If tuned correctly the milage and power is awesome.
Just ask Buzz my 454 powered truck out pulled his truck at the County Fair the other night. :DPlus my milage is better than his.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
I would get on some Chevy forums and see what others have done. Usually a tuner and possibly a exhaust make a pretty big difference, and depending on the tune set up, you can do it safely.
If you google"4.8 chevy performance"....there is a lot of info out there.

Goodoleboy was correct about not expecting a lot out of that 4.8, unless you want to drop a lot of coin into it. But you should be able to increase your current performance with some reasonable upgrades. Intake/Exhaust and tuner come to mind as the most cost effective upgrades.

And for Goodoleboy to pull the sled at a County Fair, he would need a gas station at the 150' mark.........

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
I would start with a cat- back exhaust systems,change out your air intake.That will wake up your motor for the price. As for changing out the chip,For the price it didn't seem worth it.You could change your throttle body to a bigger size to increase air flow. G3 spark plugs helps.Bigger fuel injectors. More air more power.Specially on a small block chevy.If you need more hp open up your check book.Sky the limit.

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
Good one Buzz.
Rob is right.Remember the old sayin that used to be on T-shirts at the drags that read(Injection is nice-but I,d rather be blown).

·
Registered
117 Posts
I had an 05 with a 4.8 put on a cold air intake . true dual exhaust and get a bully dog tuner.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Don't know what you mean by "gains". But I pulled a lot of trailer loads of fire wood through the mountains from out by Prince Gallitzin state park to near Greensburg without a problem. When not towing got 21 MPG when I kept my foot out of it. Got a 2013 now and put the bully tuner on it, haven't put many miles on it so can't give any insight on how it's doing. The true duals was a PITA it's hard to find someone willing to bend the pipe for the drivers side and catbacks don't make sense 2 into 1 into 2 how is that not restrictive?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts