The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about maybe adding a loft to my cabin. I'm going up this weekend and going to do some measuring while I'm there. I'm not sure if there is enough of height between the roof and the beams that the floor would be built on. What do you think that the minimum height could be? For now it would be mostly for my grandkids to sleep up there, but they do grow up. Just from remembering when we put the stove pipe up through the ceiling and the roof I think it may be around 5' to the peak which would be the center of the loft.

·
Registered
52,306 Posts
Put mattresses on the floor and they can crawl around and sleep up there,cover the entire area, but be sure to put in a window for ventilation and fire escape...

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
If your roof pitch is less than 8x12 unless you have a knee wall to raise the height it is going to be a tight space but as stated above you can put down Matresses and have a ladder to make it useable. Good luck in this venture

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Scrap that idea. Only a little over 3 feet up there. Have to come up with another idea to get some more sleeping room.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Bolt the floor joints to the side wall uprights with support boards under each joint. You will lose height on first floor but gain loft height.
Just an idea.

·
Registered
389 Posts
YH, I don't know anything about your camp; but another possibility, add a Murphy bed along the side wall. This would provide a little more sleeping quarters for now (which is what I assume you need) and avoid the hassle of building an addition.
Just a thought; and just trying to think "outside the box".
Whatever you decide, I hope it works out well for you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts