The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dang I really hate having an addictive personality... At least I find legal outlets to use it on.

So I started assembling knives because a friend had some that he forged and was a terrible wood worker. Since I've already tackled duck decoys I figured this would be simple, and it was. Trouble I'm having now is wood scales. I've bought some, but I really like being "self sufficient" with my hobbies. As reference, when I started doing decoys I scrounged as much material as I could aside from the cork. Cut a basswood tree on our property and had it dried for the heads. Went to an Amish mill and picked up drops of red oak that I used for the keels and bottom boards.

So here I am at knives. While bring wood in this winter I realized that I had some black walnut crotch wood. I tossed it on the bandsaw just to see how it would turn out. WOW, the figuring on this makes me want to cry. Trouble is I want to use it NOW. I kinda feel bad that I already burnt half of what I had before I "polished the diamond".

Just questioning how long it might take to air dry. I realize I need a moisture meter, got to get one soon. Keep in mind that I heat my house with a wood stove that is in the basement. I put the 1/2" blanks on a shelf about 12" behind the stove. My basement usually stays around 40%RH and 85 or so degrees because of the stove. I figure it dried a bit while on the woodpile, but it's been a month since I sawed it down and those knife blanks from Track of the Wolf are calling to me. Oh the anticipation.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
]
I don't think I would dry the wood near the stove. Wood that dries too fast can warp, twist and check. It also may be better to cut your blanks thicker, wax the ends and resaw after they dry.Less chance of above problems. Air drying is usually a long slow process at ambient temperatures. Moisture meter is a plus .

1 - 2 of 2 Posts