The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I an seeing fisher tracks in practically every area I've been hunting. I talked to a landowner where I was hunting cottontail recently that told me he caught three on his property. I know of three swamps that are less then two miles of my house with fishers living in them.
I saw two roadkilled in the same spot not too far away as well.
I caught a couple myself when targeting fox/coyote last year. Now that there is a season on them here I probably won't have any luck
You are correct about the narrow time frame though.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
chet , not sure how many guys do well wit the short season ,but i'm pretty sure its a small percentage . but you can't get one without traps in the woods .where were you monday ? pretty good run we had !

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
The short season still puts a damper on things.........It doesnt matter if you set on perfect Fisher sign, in their core area.........if they don't feel like investigating anything in those 5 days you are done..........

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Congrats on the new fisher season for your WMU. The key is to catch one in that very short window that we have. The 6 day season after deer season makes it tough in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Lots of Fisher in 1B. They said they use accidental catches to determine if there should be a season. But how many people really turn them in.

·
Registered
306 Posts
One thing I have noticed here with fisher it might not be true elsewhere but just what I noticed. If you find fisher tracks note where they are how they ran ect. I found that they seem to run in there own tracks year after year. This year I took my notes from where I found tracks last year and set. Next day I had a fisher luck maybe but I noticed another set of fisher tracks after I had that one. It was running the same pattern as last year same logs same crossing point on the stream same tree root system you get the idea. Last year I set up a day late while setting on teh tracks I kept finding my old cable stakes so if you know where they are running now take note of it. JMHO

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Looking forward to this!!I'll be taking a road trip to catch one.I know where a few are a little north of me.Was wondering when they would open it up

·
Registered
252 Posts
awesome cant wait. i had caught a few as well while going after fox and yotes. i think we will do better than what people think. it is a short time but hit them hard and it will be there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts