The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Thanks for posting.

look for the appeal to the State supreme court on this one.

I do find it curious, without offering support one way or another, that the state lost on the zoning provision / local control. The state gave that to the counties by legislation, therefore it can and could be amended to limit or otherwise infringe on the right.

Need to get the decision and read it. I am sure the points made will be informative.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can't give the rights to gas companies and exclude others. It's all or none, it's obvious gas money and their lackies are behind this.... The state will lose this one...and rightfully so. No one benefits from taking control of zoning away from communities except the gas companies.... I thought republicans were for less govt?? Really? This is a slap in the face to homeowners across the state.... I hope the gas lackey governor enjoys his one term....

·
Registered
463 Posts
Bluetick said:
Thanks for posting.

look for the appeal to the State supreme court on this one.

I do find it curious, without offering support one way or another, that the state lost on the zoning provision / local control. The state gave that to the counties by legislation, therefore it can and could be amended to limit or otherwise infringe on the right.

Need to get the decision and read it. I am sure the points made will be informative.
That is exactly the point, zoning was legislated to the townships, it can be changed through legislation. I think the judges are wrong on this and hopefully it will be appealed and the state supreme court will get it right.
This isn't about drilling in neighborhoods, we don't want to do that, but in the case of Cecil, South Fayette, or Robinson Twps. in the SW part of the state, they are zoning drilling out of farmland and mined out areas. Some just don't want ANY drilling. (South Fayette)

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
OneLongShot said:
You can't give the rights to gas companies and exclude others. It's all or none, it's obvious gas money and their lackies are behind this.... The state will lose this one...and rightfully so. No one benefits from taking control of zoning away from communities except the gas companies.... I thought republicans were for less govt?? Really? This is a slap in the face to homeowners across the state.... I hope the gas lackey governor enjoys his one term....
I agree, just like it's also unfair to pick out a single business and create a special tax for it...........Act 13 is flawed from both ends......

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
OneLongShot said:
.... I thought republicans were for less govt?? Really?
LOL only when it's convenient

·
Registered
303 Posts
OneLongShot said:
I thought republicans were for less govt??
They are. One state law that applies to everyone, as opposed to a patchwork of hundreds of laws passed by municipalities, based sometimes only on hysteria and false information, is less government. I don't think we've heard the end of this.

·
Registered
463 Posts
OldMountain said:
OneLongShot said:
They are. One state law that applies to everyone, as opposed to a patchwork of hundreds of laws passed by municipalities, based sometimes only on hysteria and false information, is less government. I don't think we've heard the end of this.
That is exactly the point. And remember the people in those municipalities that are having their private property rights taken from them by the activist twp. officials and the vocal few that don't own any mineral rights. All of this based on bad information and the anti drilling hysteria drummed up by the few.
Hopefully the state will appeal.

·
Registered
22,039 Posts
1trueamerican said:
OldMountain said:
OneLongShot said:
That is exactly the point. And remember the people in those municipalities that are having their private property rights taken from them by the activist twp. officials and the vocal few that don't own any mineral rights. All of this based on bad information and the anti drilling hysteria drummed up by the few.
Hopefully the state will appeal.
State Supreme Court is now made up of 3 Dems and 3 Repub's since the 4th Repub has been suspended and having her hearing now for corruption charges. A tie there will make the lower court ruling stand.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Hope they have to share a cell with a possum poacher. Waugh!

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OldMountain said:
OneLongShot said:

I disagree, if my township decides we don't want drilling, pump stations or pipelines then we have the right to do so. The forced top down approach this bill took, forced towns to follow what an obviously sold out governor hands to his masters in the gas companies. So basically if I want to open a quarry on one side of your house and a landfill on the other I should be allowed too....since local zoning laws shouldn't apply to me too, just not the gas business.... Think about what this opens the door too. It also is striping your rights away to have self rule in your own town...... Why have a Constitution if it only applies when there isn't big money to be made?

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
OneLongShot said:
OldMountain said:
OneLongShot said:

I disagree, if my township decides we don't want drilling, pump stations or pipelines then we have the right to do so. The forced top down approach this bill took, forced towns to follow what an obviously sold out governor hands to his masters in the gas companies. So basically if I want to open a quarry on one side of your house and a landfill on the other I should be allowed too....since local zoning laws shouldn't apply to me too, just not the gas business.... Think about what this opens the door too. It also is striping your rights away to have self rule in your own town...... Why have a Constitution if it only applies when there isn't big money to be made?

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
OneLongShot said:
OldMountain said:
OneLongShot said:

Actualy I don't believe that a township has the right to zone out drilling or compressor stations etc. When making zoneing laws, you have to provide a area withen your township for "ALL" business to locate. Everything from strip clubs to power plants.
You can control where these things go via differant zones such as residential, commercial etc..etc. You can also put restrictions such as noise and setbacks, lighting and signage etc. But according to our Twp solicitor, you can't zone any business out.
So even though part of act 13 was shot down, their will still be issues.

And keep in mind, the only part of act 13 that was shot down, was the side that benefitted gas companys, the other part....the one that taxes them millions of dollars is still in place. Wonder if our previous Democratic gov would have still had the unions in his pocket if he put that kind of tax on them........

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
If you can't zone any business out, why is it that towns, boros and twps can effectivily keep bars out by voting to forbid the sale of alcohol? Bars are businesses.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts