The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't found any this year, even the oaks in my yard didn't seem to have them this year. I see a lot of deer feeding on green grasses in the fields that border woods. How are they in your area.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Four of us hunted 2G on the west side of the PA Grand Canyon. We failed to find a single oak, red or white, shedding acorns. We glassed several oaks, and if acorns existed, they were not obvious to quality binoculars. Squirrels seemed unsettled in their ground cover searches, and were observed eating mushrooms.

Beech brush seemed to be flourishing, but deer aren't interested beyond its protective bedding cover.

Four flintlock hunters spent four days hunting prime whitetail territory. One hunter saw two deer! I don't think adding a Sunday to this hunt would have helped, and we enjoyed the day off to explore Hammond Lake, my son's 12 acres in NY, and miles of maples showing off their offerings.

·
Registered
151 Posts
2D..Hunt on a Oak Ridge, no acorns this year, moved stand closer to field edge where the deer were now feeding on grasses.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Not many at all around where I am in bucks county. Trees that u could usually fill trash cans full of them have none. This year has more under growth than I have seen in at least 20 years. A ton of other food in woods still.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Haven't been able to find a single acorn in 2G the last few weeks and hence no deer. I'll probably still be scouting / hunting right on through the end of archery season. Did find some good beechnut crops which are holding some turkeys and deer, at least until they are gone.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I have about 20 to 25 oak trees around my house and have found very few on the ground this year. I live in 4E Luzerne County.

·
Registered
120 Posts
WORST YEAR FOR MAST I'VE SEEN IN THE 7 YEARS. THAT I'VED LIVED HERE IN FOREST COUNTY. I'M ON TOP OF HILL ABOVE THE RIVER. HAD A FEW WHITE OAK ACORNS IN YARD, BUT THE DEER HAVE THEM GONE CAN'T FIND ANY IN THE WOODS THERE ARE A FEW GRAPES IN SOME LOCATIONS. ALSO HICKORY NUTS.AND SOME AUTOUM OLVIE BERRIES'S.PLUS THE FARMS ARE MOSTLY CHOPING THERE CORN. SO THERE WON'T BE MUCH CORN LEFT AROUND HERE.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts