The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have a cluster of white oaks in the back yard and a small branch came down with a lot of leaves. It looked like acorn buds were sprouting off of it but I am not 100% sure. Don’t have a lot of knowledge when it comes to this but could I be right ? Last year they didn’t produce any acorns but if what I am looking at is correct it appears that the trees will be loaded this year. Is it too soon to notice them ?
Any thoughts ?

·
Registered
9,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They flowered here and made a mess. I like them but they make for a ton of work in regards to them flowering in the spring and leaf cleanup in the fall. Also seem to drop a lot of branches throughout the year.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I know you hunt mountain/hill country. The only way for me to consistently see deer is to be between bedding and food. What time will you be scouting for acorns in the fall? I plan on looking in late September. Depending on the weather I like to look for water sources then too.

·
Registered
9,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know you hunt mountain/hill country. The only way for me to consistently see deer is to be between bedding and food. What time will you be scouting for acorns in the fall? I plan on looking in late September. Depending on the weather I like to look for water sources then too.
I usually start walking around in September. Really hoping we have a good acorn crop this season. Last year wasn’t a very good acorn crop . The particular I hunt has reds and Chestnut oaks. The deer seem to prefer the chestnut acorns so if they are producing a good crop I can really key in on them. Last season they didn’t produce any acorns.

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
Below our one stand is some Red Oak trees. You can tell when they drop , there is scrapes and droppings all over the place and the same for our White oaks as well . With deer trails leading towards both areas.

·
Registered
28 Posts
going bac in 2 woods bin out of comm for past 4 weeks got most of my spots done just going 2 finish last few .. i think going 2 bee good year 4 acorns this year in 2C

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I'm not getting a great feeling about acorns in 2A, had some really hard freezes when the oaks were in bloom. I'm not seeing anything so far on the white oaks, but my Pin Oaks are just loaded with acorns this year so we shall see.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts