The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK - I got a whole front yard of acorns on the ground. I started tonight picking them up to save for after the hunting season is over. Im out of shelled corn bags.

How should I dry good first? (the last time I did this they rotted/wormed in corn bags). Any advice? i have them currently in cardboard boxes.

How about burlap? Will it allow the acorns to "breathe" better than the standard shelled corn bags?

I save them till the end of Feb. or March so deer can munch out...DIG?

WILBUR

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
if they are red oak acorns chances are they have weevil larvae already in them, and will eat them up, ancient ribes used to store them in streams for later use, i dunno if it will work but heard of crazier things

·
Registered
9,616 Posts
I've tried to save them for growing and they always have a worm in them. Take like 10 of them, stick them in a ziplock bag. Remove the air and wait 2 days. You'll have 10 worms in the bag.

·
Registered
463 Posts
This is my 3rd year of doing this and it has turned out well. My son and i would get a large amount and grind them up in a food processor. Put the mix in gallon freezer bags and freeze them until i need to use it. After it thawed it would still smell really good. If your going to keep them whole i would throw them in the oven for awhile.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
When I pick up the red oak acorns I leave the ones that still have the little caps on them. If you look close to where the cap ends there is a small hole. If you notice the squirrel don't pick them up either.Has anyone else noticed this? I also have tried putting all the acorns into a 5 gallon pail of water for several days. The viable ones sink to the bottom and the ones floating on top I toss out. I have good luck with picking up the capless acorns and storing them in a zip lock bag in the refrigerator crisper. Of course my wife doesn't like it too well but also stores a lot of flower seeds that I start in the spring. But after a couple of months the acorns are ready to sprout. If you add some peat or potting soil in the zip lock you will see the acorns sprout. But you are looking for deer food. Maybe be simpler to buy whole corn for the deer?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Using what I posted I started well over 100 oak last spring. I gave a lot of them away as I have 10 acres and I gave them to people that had a lot more. There is a large acorn crop around here this fall. I am looking for some white oak this year. Have any of the white oak?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Sqrlhntr - I've tried the same thing with chestnuts in the past & put them in small pots. Chipmunks found them one day so that ended that attempt.

How about transplanting small oak seedlings? I found quite a few around my place I'd like to move. When is the best time to do that?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts