The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How has the acorn crop been across the North Central region this year? I've been to my camp multiple times and did scouting before the acorns started dropping, I have a little bit in my spot but not many at all. I haven't gotten the boots on the ground yet like in years past. All I know is Apple Crop did really well this year. How about any other major mast trees?

·
Registered
9,848 Posts
In my scouting trips this year, I think the mast is not nearly as good as it was the past two years. Apples and grapes were really good. I have found spotty acorns and they were getting cleaned up pretty quickly after falling from what I saw. The acorns that I found were of pretty good size though. I also found very limited beech, but not much at all.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hearing the same thing. I am quite surprised of the lack of acorns this year given that I was seeing them on the trees early and didn't have a frost after they started producing. Maybe the bad storms knocked them off early. It's surprising to see the apples do well down low but have no other forms of mast low or high.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
In my area of northern Clearfield/Cameron there are loads and loads of acorns. They are like marbles in the woods. They are all mostly white oaks and rock oaks. The red oaks do not have many at all this year it seems

1 - 5 of 5 Posts