The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone interested in putting together a fruit tree order for next spring? I had a couple Asian pears put on fruit in their second year, so now I have an itch to get some more in the ground!

Let me know if you want to get in on the order. As usual - we need 25 trees total to get the price break. Prices per tree average around $16, with the majority being in the $15-$18 range.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nevermind.....looks like ACN is sold out of everything. I guess I need to be more on the ball next year.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
You sure they just haven't put up the 2018 availability yet on their site? Seems strange that they would be sold out of EVERYTHING this early. (I did look at their site and see what you mean.) I could see being all out of the really popular stuff, but I'm surprised if absolutely everything is spoken for already.

With that said, I don't have plans to order any for next spring. At least at this point. ;)

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I too thought it was strange. I guess it's worth some investigation.

Kentucky camp has enough pears?? I find that hard to believe....

You better take another look...ha :nerd:

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
LoL, never enough, of course, but I need to save some room for beans, clover, and briar patches.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I'm good for at least 5 trees, probably closer to 8. Those trees we got last year were top notch. I think Darrens wife cherry picked the best trees for our order. Ive been watching the ACN site and things were never updated from last year. I'm sure they have trees available they just haven't updated the site. Did you make a call? Shoot me a text if you still have my number.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm thinking that NG is correct - ACN has not put up their 2018 availability yet. We didn't even start putting together last year's order until the beginning of September.

Charman said he is good for 5-8 trees. I'm good for 6-8. We are pushing half way for the 25pc price break.

Anyone else interested?

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RGrizzzz - I have a buddy whose wife works at ACN, so he gets them for me...then I meet him in the Shippensburg/Chambersburg area to get the trees.

In the past, I have met guys at camp in Juniata County, guys have come to my house in Chambersburg, guys have met me a local Sheetz, and others have met me at the pick up location where I meet up with my buddy.

WW - glad to hear the trees are doing well for you! You have any pics? We love to see pics! .....or at least I do.

Charman - you should post up some of your pics as well!

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK - just got some info. Website has a glitch that they are having trouble fixing. I am to call to my previous sales contact for information on ordering.

That being said - the sooner we get a list of what guys want, the better chance of it still being available. Sounds like some stuff is already sold out.

Let me know!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
... I don't have plans to order any for next spring. At least at this point. ;)
That was so last week. :blush:

Got inspired over the weekend. I'm in for half a dozen trees. I'll get you the list soon, O.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That was so last week. :blush:

Got inspired over the weekend. I'm in for half a dozen trees. I'll get you the list soon, O.
Atta boy! :grin2: That's what I like to hear NG!! Looking forward to getting your list.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I just bought a new piece of property and might be interested in some trees. How does this process work? How do we pay? Where do we pick up?

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just bought a new piece of property and might be interested in some trees. How does this process work? How do we pay? Where do we pick up?
I handle the money. We typically have enough guys pay up front for the down payment (in a few weeks) with the order. The remainder of the guys pay closer to tree arrival time - usually mid April.

If you are in Gettysburg, you can probably meet up with Charman - he picked up his trees directly from my buddy last year close to the nursery. ACN will not split orders up, so we have to get the whole order and then distribute from there.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I sent my list of 11 trees to OAWC,

Tater, I picked my trees up from O's buddy last year who lives really close to the twirly top off route 34. The trees we got last year were really impressive, mine took off and are 7 to 9 feet tall already and put on alot of growth.

I'll try to get some pics up

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Guys get your orders in asap, I know we are putting the order in really soon so we get a good shot at getting all preferred varieties

·
Registered
376 Posts
Liberty- 1
Enterprise -1
Galarina-1

Last year's trees were great, unfortunately mine were decimated by jap beetles over-the summer. Hopefully I don't lose any and I'm definitely spraying next year.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I would like to order some pear trees but i need some advice on variety since i have no experience with pears. I know which apples i want but no clue on the pears. Thank you

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Not sure what soil you've got, but on my heavy clay the asian varieties that I've tried (Shinko & Olympic) fare much better than the Europeans. On my better ground, the same two Asians are also doing well, but I have Kieffer, Seckel, and Shenandoah that are taking off there. Some of that difference in performance may be rootstock related (Asians on Betulaefolia, European on OHxF), not sure.

None of my pears have fruited yet, but I picked mine for staggered drop times and for their disease resistance. I am far from an expert, but based only on my limited experience so far, I would put Shinko, Olympic, and Kieffer on the "gotta have" list.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts