The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got some ACE from my vet for sedation for when I run into a Porcupine. He gave me a prescription for pills. Question is, who uses pills for this and how well do they work? The vet told me 1 pill and in 10 minuets if still unable to handle the dog I can give another pill and within 20 minutes I should be able to handle the dog. He feels that I should be able to do most quill removal with just 1 pill.

I used the proper route and went through my Vet for this medicine so I have a prescription and instructions on its use, just need some confirmation from others that use it that it works. He also told me to give benadryl or Dramamine a try.

I am hoping that as the weather cools and hunting season gets into full swing that the Porcupines are not as prolific as this past summer. Too many trips to the vet for quill removal (including yesterday with 2 dogs) to be able to enjoy hunting without worrying about Porcupines.

·
Registered
25,022 Posts
Acepromazine is a good sedative but remember IT DOES NOT REDUCE PAIN in any way. As such if painful enough the dog can overcome the effects of the sedative and react to the pain.

I've not heard of it being used for removeal but I suppose with a few quills it wouldn't be a problem. Generally Ace is used for travelling or trips to the vet to reduce anxiety if your dog is nervous...

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Double check for reactions to specific breeds with ACE. I have a boxer and ACE is a HUGE NO NO!! It's actually been shown to kill boxers. The problem is that many vets don't know breed specific reactions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts