The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to make some mods to my model 7's wooden stock. Took it to a gunsmith and he recommended removing the support hump in the stock and glass bedding it. Did some research and found a lot of guys say not to remove the hump because of the thin (pencil) barrels on the model 7's. Others say removing the hump makes a big improvement in accuracy. Any experience with these mods?

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
I would full length bed it. I have been shooting Model Sevens for at least 25 years and have always found they shoot best with the pressure point or full length bedding job. Also, I don't expect BR groups from the little rifle and I want the cold bore shot to hit where I aim it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Bed it! I've done a bunch of them over the years and it does help. I group before and after and have always seen very good improvements in groups plus you get consistency in your zero.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I have a fiberglass (not injection molded plastic) model 7 that shoots best with a pressure point. I have other guns with light contour barrels that shoot best when floated.There is no way to say your gun will or will not shoot better or more consistant with or without the pressure point. The only way to know for sure is to try it.

If it was my gun I would determine a realistic accuracy level that I wanted the gun to consistantly achieve. Then I would bed the action and free float the barrel. Test it and see what type of accuracy it will obtain consistantly. Then I would install a pressure point and go thru the accuracy testing again. You can use paper shims to create a temporary pressure point. You can also vary the thickness of the shims to determine if your gun likes more or less pressure, doing accuracy testing for each different configuration. Then you will be able to determine what gives the best and most consistant accuracy in your gun. If your gun shoots best with a pressure point you can then glass in a permanant pressure point using the shims to keep the pressure consistant until the glass hardens. Then I would shoot the gun for accuracy and POI consistency under varying temperature and humidity conditions. Since the gun has wood stock there is the possibility that a pressure point will change the guns POI under different conditions.

Good luck, Tony

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I had one and removing the pressure point helped. It still was not very accurate. I was very disappointed in it.

My new Ruger American Compact is way more accurate. I really like it.

·
Registered
20,869 Posts
I had a stainless synthetic model 7 in 308 that never really shot better than 1 3/4" at 100 yards.I bought a compact model 7 in .243 a few years ago for my son and it shot right around an inch.This past spring I put a bell&carlson medalist stock with an aluminum bedding block and it shoots a little better now.As long as you don't heat the barrel up,it shoots fine.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
PATurkeyHntr said:
DCE, Does the aluminum bedding block replace the original pressure point "hump" in the original stock?
A bedding block supports the action. It is not part of a pressure point on the forend of the stock.

Good luck, Tony

1 - 11 of 11 Posts