The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into a new savage, what are the pros and cons of the accu-trigger?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,647 Posts
Con: They feel weird!

Pro: They save Savage money for lawyers and for some reason people like them.

I guess compared to their old trigger its an improvement, but in my opinion Winchester and Remington both have better triggers.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
13,401 Posts
I haven't quite "cottoned" to them yeat because I don't like the stupid thing protruding out. I don't know if I'd call them a gimmick, but I know there have been excellent triggers on rifles for many years before Savage and Marlin decided to have some stupid "thingy" protrude from their triggers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,815 Posts
I found this on another site, and I think it sums up my feelings.

I have a savage Accu-trigger, on a heavy barrel 22 RF.

First it is too heavy when set at it's lowest, about 2.6 pounds. It can't be adjusted lower.

Second it requires two things to be pulled, including a skeleton thin piece of metal, looks like it will be catching on brush etc. It has a safety, I don't need another one. It is like a Glock, trigger safety.

Third I've studied the design in great detail. Just review their patents if you wish. It is too complicated for any gunsmith to work on and expect the trigger to be safe. Maybe Savage made it for this purpose.

Fourth, replacement triggers are very expensive. No spring kits available.

Fifth the internal parts are like a kids toy, not robust like the gun industry. Looks to be made by Daisy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,869 Posts
Harrysigafoo said:
It is like a Glock, trigger safety.
That's what I told Stogey as well. But, I've been shooting Glocks for 18 years!


ON a personal note: I have no issues with the accutrigger.
I have Savages with and without. The .270 I bought for my son last years has it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
13,401 Posts
Harrysigafoo said:
I found this on another site, and I think it sums up my feelings.

I have a savage Accu-trigger, on a heavy barrel 22 RF.

First it is too heavy when set at it's lowest, about 2.6 pounds. It can't be adjusted lower.

Second it requires two things to be pulled, including a skeleton thin piece of metal, looks like it will be catching on brush etc. It has a safety, I don't need another one. It is like a Glock, trigger safety.

Third I've studied the design in great detail. Just review their patents if you wish. It is too complicated for any gunsmith to work on and expect the trigger to be safe. Maybe Savage made it for this purpose.

Fourth, replacement triggers are very expensive. No spring kits available.

Fifth the internal parts are like a kids toy, not robust like the gun industry. Looks to be made by Daisy.


Junk. Just like I suspected. Thank goodness they didn't put them on the Savage Edge.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,815 Posts
I got two of the "edge"s for the grand kids in 243. shoot great and decent triggers. Price was super $210 with Tasco scopes and mounts.

But the scopes only lasted about 2 boxes and were free-wheeling on the adjustments ...you know how hard those big 243 100 grainers kick LOL
Added two Bushnell tropy scopes and they now shoot sub MOA in the hands of the youngsters.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
857 Posts
Decent trigger??? You call a 7 lb. trigger decent???

I know the accu-trigger has it's downfalls but 7 lb. trigger decent??? C'MON!!!!!


and a better factory trigger on a Remington...ROFL!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,395 Posts
Sorry, I have a Savage 12FV with the accu-trigger and love it.

The first time you shoot it, it does feel different....because it is a different trigger. If someone is having a problem, it is the shooter.....not the rifle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
889 Posts
I have a few rifles with Accu-triggers. And for the price of the rifle I do not believe they are bad, they actually work very well.

However I would not want one on a high volume shooting rifle, or dangerous game, or in-climate weather rifle. IMO there are just too many exposed moving parts for things to go wrong. Tom.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,212 Posts
I had one savage in 300 wsm that had that trigger. I like it at the range where you could consentrate. Didn't care to hunt with it. Maybe it would have changed with more use, but I only hunted with it a few times.

At the range it was great. Just get the scope on paper, pull the blade, and center your shot. The trigger is way better than my remington pump guns by far. I could also see it being good on a varmint gun as well.

Maybe with more use I would have gotten used to the feeling, but when there is a buck in your sights it just seemed like to much to think about when pulling the trigger.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
39,067 Posts
PADingo said:
Harrysigafoo said:
It is like a Glock, trigger safety.
That's what I told Stogey as well. But, I've been shooting Glocks for 18 years!


ON a personal note: I have no issues with the accutrigger.
I have Savages with and without. The .270 I bought for my son last years has it.
Same, and my son likes it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,647 Posts
Real men don't have man steps on their trucks.

They don't watch soccer.

They don't wear pink.

And they don't shoot rifles with triggers that have unnecessary doodads to decrease trigger pull when the rifles have been made for hundreds of years with tuneable triggers and they already have safeties.

Show me a Model 70 or Model 700 with a bad trigger that can't be corrected at home and I'll show you a guy that doesn't know how to change a tire on a vehicle, wears pink, and watches soccer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
378 Posts
HighCountry66 said:
Con: They feel weird!

Pro: They save Savage money for lawyers and for some reason people like them.

I guess compared to their old trigger its an improvement, but in my opinion Winchester and Remington both have better triggers.
+2

It's a two-stage trigger. What this has over a properly tuned M70 or M700 trigger I don't know. Looks cheaply constructed as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,815 Posts
Moose you are right...it was agreat buy at a box store. That is why I bought 2 of them. thinking now should have bought 3, as more grand kids are starting to hunt.
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top