The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
No different than a loaded firearm and just as dangerous and illegal for the same reasons. There are a few reasons why this kind of thing happens. People just not thinking and in a hurry, doing it on purpose because they were not going to move far, a fav with guns and just plain old had their mind on other things other than safety. All of them can kill you. Luckily he was hit in the leg and survived but a leg hit could have easily bled him out before help could have gotten to him. Distraction can kill.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Just as bad as Saturday when my son was squirrel hunting and happened apon a couple archery hunters. My son whistled to let them know he was there, and the one with the crossbow rips the bow up and aims at him! People need to learn that a scope is not a pair of binoculars!!!!!!!!! Good thing I wasn't there, i'd have disarmed the hunter and called the PGC with his name and license no#...

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
I would never willingly put a loaded crossbow in my truck but if I did I would like to think I would put it in with the arrow pointing away from me. I'm thinking he just had his head somewhere else. Hopefully he has a full recovery.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Wow is all I can say....just wow. In what world does a guy lay a crossbow down cocked and loaded facing himself and not even think, this may end badly.....

·
Registered
525 Posts
First off I hope, and pray the guy survived, and is recovering.
Secondly--this should be a shining example of what happens when one chooses to use unsafe practices.
We could beat the safety aspects of crossbow use to pieces here, but I would hope we ALL know, use common sense when using our crossbows.
Moral of the story here--DON'T do what this guy did. Plain, and simple--it may not end well.
Again I will, and would never wish ill fate to anyone. It is my hope, and prayer the man is doing ok, and healing up.
Thing is--if he gets through this--I'll bet he never makes that mistake again.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Thinking there's more to the story on this one. I've never seen anyone put business end pointing back at you in a vehicle. Plus the bird circled a long time before landing.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Does anyone really have any illusions why this guy put it "loaded" in the vehicle? This is safety 101.. And he chose to not unload it? Yeah, I agree with the previous posters, he had other ideas about why this was loaded... Not in a hurry except to make a speedy shot from the window... "Officer, I was in a rush to get home and could not even get the bolt off it"... LOL.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Just as bad as Saturday when my son was squirrel hunting and happened apon a couple archery hunters. My son whistled to let them know he was there, and the one with the crossbow rips the bow up and aims at him! People need to learn that a scope is not a pair of binoculars!!!!!!!!! Good thing I wasn't there, i'd have disarmed the hunter and called the PGC with his name and license no#...
I told a guy one time that said he watched me thru his scope of how he would like his gun broke in pieces and the rest shoved up his behind!

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
I was hunting with a group of guys for bear one time. We put on a drive and I got shooting at a bear. I came up over the hill afterward and a guy who was drinking during the hunt raised his rifle and scoped me. I hit the deck and yelled, not knowing if he was going to fire or not.
That is the only time that I know of that I've been scoped and is the reason why I refuse to hunt anymore with people who have to be drinking while they are hunting. I also have a rule that if anyone is hunting with me and I see them take a drink, they will be told to remove themselves from the group. I have zero room for unsafe practices.

This guy obviously paid the price for being unsafe.

·
Registered
16,544 Posts
i wont even cock the crossbow at the vehicle then walk to the stand with it unloaded. i carry it over my shoulder on a sling and all i can think of when someone does this is:

if that string breaks when its slung over your shoulder where are those limbs going? safety is number one, or at least should be.

·
Registered
525 Posts
i wont even cock the crossbow at the vehicle then walk to the stand with it unloaded. i carry it over my shoulder on a sling and all i can think of when someone does this is:

if that string breaks when its slung over your shoulder where are those limbs going? safety is number one, or at least should be.
THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I often think of this too. I hunt with a Excalubur Matrix 380--260 pound recurve limbs(for those unfamiliar).
I have never had any issues, but often thought--cocked, and slung across my shoulder--even with the anti-dry fire--if all of that force were to ever unload-where is it going??
ANSWER---at the back of my head, base of my skull, and neck. hhhuuummm---possible instant death due to a broken neck, severed spinal cord, or fractured skull.
Folks we need to always remember--SAFETY ALWAYS--not safety first--SAFETY ALWAYS.
I hunt alone, and if something were to happen my chances are slim unless I can use my phone. I ALWAYS try to think things through, and ask that others do the same. We owe it to those who love us to hunt smart, and safe.
My personal rule for myself is a simple one--There is not ANY game animal walking the face of the earth worth risking my life for whereby causing absolute heart break, and a financial, and other types of burden after the fact.
TO ALL--I will never tell others how to hunt, argue over the weapon of choice, but I will argue over your safety, and how your practices can, and will effect others.
Please be safe--PLEASE

1 - 15 of 15 Posts