The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll admit my enthusiasm for hunting is at a very low ebb. With crossbows flooding the woods even in Jersey now I'm getting soured on archery. I've always disliked rifle season,I had alot of bad experiences with slobs when I was younger. My father cant really hunt very well anymore so he's giving me his flintlock. Its a T/C Hawken 50 cal. He said he will give me a crash course on using it this weekend and what shot best out of it, he claimed the conical maxi's flew alot better than round balls. Been reading thru some of the threads here and I'm actually looking forward to taking it for a long walk on the of the bigger SGL's within an hour drive like 211 near Pine Grove. Don't expect to see anything its just kinda exciting learning a new weapon. One thing about reading the regs tho, it says you dont have to use flo orange for muzzle loader, ok what about 5C? There is an extended doe season down here and if you in berks or lehigh you can use a rifle. Do you still not need orange? Trust me I'll probably at least wear a hat anyway. I just like the idea of being alone in the woods, far away from the car. Maybe from now on I'll be a bow/muzzle loader guy I dunno

·
Registered
217 Posts
Welcome to the club.
I just hope you dont think that there arent slobs out there in the late season. If so prepare to be disappointed.
The muzzleloader will most probobaly take alot more practice than most are used to, so be prepared for lots of range time.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Not sure about the orange, but be prepared for some mighty cold weather, and deep snow, (at least around here), have fun and good luck!

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Good luck with that rifle... those old Hawkins were mighty fine built flinters.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
If you are in 5C where rifles are you need orange.Not sure about the other 5C areas.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea I cant find anything in the regs that mention that, they just say no orange for the late muzzle loader/archery season. And as far as cold no problem, plan on still hunting every time out. I used to be a real good still hunter when I was young I used to cut a track and follow the deer for hours in the snow, one time it turned out to be a big ole doe who kept doubling back for a look at me, I finally outsmarted her and ended up nose to nose with her at 20 yards.
And no I know if I hunt outside of 5C and the extended season all I'm gonna run into are other hardcore hunters, its one of the reasons I'm eager to get into flintlock hunting.
Probably hit the Weiser Forest area and the SGL close to there too. Buddy was at tracking dog trials there over the summer and said the dogs kept getting off track due to the huge amount of deer sign there. I know its gets hammered in rifle but they must make it thru somehow if there are that many deer there in the summer.
Hope to see some fellow hunters out there too. I'm tired of meeting bad examples of our sport and wanna meet other hardcore hunters

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Might run into you in the Weiser State Forest... what tract will you be hunting? I'll be out chasing coyotes..

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Be very very careful, you start smellin' the sulfur and it will hook you.

It is, by far, the best style, type or whatever you want to call it, hunting out there.

You will meet some great folks hunting with smoke poles, and most will share their knowledge to help make your hunt a success. In fact most will share their possibles bag or shootin' box, their only payment being you do the same for the next guy who needs a hand.

The T/C Hawkins are great rifles, treat her like a lady, lots of TLC, pamper her and get her lots of goodies, and she will never let you down.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
after you start smelling the black powder it will not be long till you are caught hook, line and sinker. You will more than likely make or buy a possibles bag, make a powder horn, start wearing lots of wool, and leather. Then you can do to Dixon's gun makers fair this summer and see some very fine guns and actruments that will deff make your wallet lighter

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Big ******* I already love to hike in the middle of winter scouting, just gonna add the smokepole.
Nugent I'm not really sure. Probably gonna get off rt.78 and head up rt.61 and hit it from there. Not my usual hunting spots tho me and the misses Hike up to the Pinnacle just south of there a couple times a year.
BTW Brewyak dad already has a possibles bag. He said "you'll want this too, its a possibles bag". A WHAT bag? Why dont they just call it a "Bag to hold your stuff" lol

·
Registered
12,848 Posts
Welcome to the "smell"
I hope you really enjoy it as much as I and others do around PA!! Nothing like a face full of sulfur

1 - 12 of 12 Posts