The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hunting in Ohio for the first time this season. I have a Mossberg 500 pump, 3" chamber that I have only used for Turkey. Can I safely shoot Deer slugs or Sabots with my gun? If so, what size and ammo is sugested. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I wouldn't shoot it with a turkey choke find an open choke and you will be good to go or just pick up a rifled barrel, they arn't that expensive. Be ready for some big time recoil. Get your self some different shell brands and find out which one will be best for your gun. My daughter use to use a 20 in the 500 model and did well with Remingtons.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Spent the weekend shooting mossberg 500 pump gun on the NRA range in Fairfax.

The Remington yellow/green 12 2 3/4 inch Sluggers shot the best. With a scope at 50 yards they grouped 3 touching, that is less than 1 inch. the 3" sabot were 1.2 inches, and the 3 inch foster shells were also about 1.5".

But the 3" were terrible to shoot. My 20 ga single with 2 3/4 inch shells shoots thru most whittails so I see little reason to shoot 3".

Boy, that concrete indoor range with 12 ga shugs shooting next to a guy with a auto 308 was beyond sound belief. double plugs and Quad earmuffs. WHAT????
this is with a scope.

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
Brenneke green lighting slugs will undoubtably shoot the best out of any slug gun, rifled or smooth bore.

it was the only slug that shot exactly as the manufacturer said it would out of my rem 870 with a rifled cantilever slug barrel and they are not expensive.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have a FULL choke screwed into the end of the barrel. So, basicaly take that out, buy a box of Rem. 2 3/4 inch sluggers and I should be good to go??

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I don't think running a slug over the inside threads in that muzzle is such a good idea.

·
Registered
19,601 Posts
You can pick yourself up a 12 gauge 3" 1 in 36 twist, 24" rifled barrel replacement, with integral scope base for around a buck and a quarter new. Check e-Bay or look for a used one and it will be about 50.00

I know a guy that shot sabot slugs thru a 500 with the C-lect choke and it didn't seem to hurt the gun any.
Good Luck

·
Registered
25,477 Posts
It isn't a good idea, because the choke tube threads will be damaged and choke tubes will no longer fit.

Be better to pick up an inexpensive Improved Cylinder tube and install it in the barrel. Or spend some more money and buy one of the extended tubes w/rifling?

I have a 24" smooth slug barrel w/rifle sights, for the M500. With cheapo 2-3/4" Win. or Rem. one ounce slugs, it'll put them into about 4" at fifty yards.

Also have a 24" rifled slug barrel. Lightfield 2-3/4" saboted slugs will do about 2" or less at 100 yards, scoped. Fired <u>one</u> 3" magnum slug and that was enough for me.

·
Registered
25,477 Posts
A good choice, but it he wants to use his smoothbore barrel, all he needs is a $20 tube in Imp. Cyl. Not even sure the short ones cost that much?

If he wants one of the older ones with the external knob, I'll give him one fer free....if I can find it?

·
Registered
25,477 Posts
There's a used M500 rifled slug barrel for sale in the Classifieds, if you're interested? It's a good price.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Either a modified or smaller choke with rifled slugs OR you can pick up a rifled choke and see how that works for you.

I used to shoot cheap-o federal rifled slugs with a mod choke with good results.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
most dicks also have the IC choke for 9 bucks. get some green box punkin balls, an IC choke and learn to hit where the beads tell you to aim. Or...if budget allows, go get the mossy scoped cantilever barrel kit for 120-150. money well spent IMO.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts