The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The way im reading the regs. is... ALL seasons (except small game) closed on Wednesday, November 24. Is this correct? Bear ends Tuesday the 23 and Turkey Re-enters Thursday, Nov. 25....Nothing on weds.? Just curious as to why...thanks in advance.

WILD TURKEY (Male or Female): Wildlife Management Units 1A, 1B and 2A (Shotgun and bow and arrow) – Nov. 13-19 and Nov. 25-27;
BLACK BEAR (Statewide): Nov. 20, and Nov. 22-23. Only 1 bear may be taken during the license year.

...All the small game seasons remain in without any break up until the 27. The Break on the 24 of big game hunting has me corn-fused

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
They are Not Over Lapping Fall Turkey and Bear Season....

Remember, this year Bear Season comes in on the Saturday Before Thanksgiving...

Just a Wild Guess, but seeing Saturday Before Thanksgiving was Normally the last day of Fall Turkey in most areas and guys went north, hunted the last day of Fall Turkey then stayed at camp and hunted Bear Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, I'm thinking the PGC decided to add those 3 days for taking away the last day of fall turkey in those areas??

As in the past, small game has always been in when bear season was in!

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how is that an "overlap"....bear is OUT tuesday....why not start Turkey on weds. instead of thurs.....just doesnt make any sense to me. Wednesday is just another "sunday"...Just so U all know, Im not "Complaining" or "against" the change...just curious as 2 why wednesday is a "shut-down" day

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
trapperzeke said:
Just guessing, maybe it's a built-in cushion if they should happen to extend bear season due to weather, etc.?

what are we playin'? Baseball? Golf?...sorry, no offense bro, I couldnt pass that up

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
this ? has been posted since saturday...usually on here ?'s dont go more than a few hrs. before they get ansewered

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Blair16146 said:
this ? has been posted since saturday...usually on here ?'s dont go more than a few hrs. before they get ansewered
Usually someone has an answer!

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
trapperzeke said:
Just guessing, maybe it's a built-in cushion if they should happen to extend bear season due to weather, etc.?
From what I gather, it was determined that the BOC had no authority to extend any season for any reason,. Happened one year in antlerless season, and they realized later that they had no power to do so. All seasons must be approved in advance at April meetings.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
blitzinstripes said:
trapperzeke said:
From what I gather, it was determined that the BOC had no authority to extend any season for any reason,. Happened one year in antlerless season, and they realized later that they had no power to do so. All seasons must be approved in advance at April meetings.
I thought there was clause built in for extensions....like for doe season back in the day of the 2-3 day season. Or is that when it was found out that they didn't have the authority?

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
There was a time, well, I know for sure in the 70's, that the GC could NOT extend Antlerless Season without I believe the legislatures approval. So when it was a 3 day season, and 2 days had solid rain, resulting in a low kill, it couldn't be extended. I believe that changed later, and the GC was able to add a Saturday or so to extend the season in the event of a poor harvest.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Not true, the executive director could call for an extension of any season for as many days as he felt necessary. Seasons are set by the commission, not the general assembly.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
I remember one 'extended' doe season. I wasn't hunting yet...probably around 1990-91. I remember being with my mom & dad when this tiny doe came walking up. You could hear it coming for a mile in the crispy leaves. She stopped under a hemlock and looked at us....mom shot and missed....dad shot and she went straight up in the air and camw down on her back and didn't move again. Bullet went straight into her chest and came rest on the intestines. When she flipped, all dad said was...."I like my gun!" The bullet was just laying there on the intestines when he zipped her open....I remember saying something about it looking like a screw, as it mushroomed perfectly and the jacket was peeled back in a fashion that looked a lot like a Phillips head screw....in copper!

It was his first deer with his new Ruger M77 Ultra Light in .308. Shot it with a 150gr Rem. Core-Lokt handload. You can't buy memories like that!

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Not true, the executive director could call for an extension of any season for as many days as he felt necessary. Seasons are set by the commission, not the general assembly.
Reckon my "for sure" wasn't as for sure as I thought. I remember the time distinctly, and we were waiting for a Saturday extension due to the horrific weather we had. The extension didn't come, and it was said for the reason I alluded to (GC couldn't do it, the critters had to). Guess that was just word on the street then.

Hmmmmmm. That being the case though. I wonder why the season wasn't extended on that particular occasion because there is NO WAY they could have met acceptable harvest numbers.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
gary3414 said:
That day is my birthday and like December 24th the pgc just doesn't want you to be able to hunt on those holidays
So it's your fault!

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
some cool stories...BUT...no WCO has explained the REAL TRUTH behine the "shutdown Wednesday..."

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Does there realy have to be a reason? Bear ends, on Tuesday & because turkey season ends, on Friday, the BOC, because the season looses a day, reopened Turkey,on Thanksgiving, Fri. & Sat. Many people are off these days,so it will give them the chance to turkey hunt, if they desire. Just about everyone works the Wed. before Thanksgiving. It may be that the BOC. is giving the best oppotunity days,to make up for the loss,of turkey hunting days.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts