The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out tonight for the first time with new crossbow, I saw a nice 8 pt chasing a doe. He was about 56 yards from me broad side, I thought it was to far but can anyone tell me what they think is the max distance to shoot??

·
Registered
400 Posts
What kid of bow & arrow weight are u shooting???

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
You should only shoot to distances where you feel comfortable and that you have practiced at. Personally I feel that 40 yards is my max and that would only be under perfect conditions (deer perfectly broadside, not alert, no wind, and I have a good rest). I feel 30 yards and in is better.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm shooting a Parker Buck-Buster w Redd Hot arrows and 100 gr Monotec broadheads. I figured 40 yards was about the max, I don't want to wound a deer by any means. I was just curious because this is new to me.

·
Registered
18,622 Posts
The bow is capable of it as are most bows. The problem lies in a living target that has the opportunity to move before the arrow gets there.

For archery hunting, for me 40 yards is about it. Now the western hunters would say we are crazy for limiting ourselves to that. Comes down to alot of practicing shooting at longer distances and taking shots that are high percentage.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I shoot a horton vision 175 i killed 3 at 60+ yards and had pass threws but your best shots should be at 40 or less and yes i shot alot out to 70 yards

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
I don't really care how far others shoot but I won't go past 20 yards.My bow will put in shots over and over at 40 and I'm comfortable with it.I feel archery is a close up sport and want them as close as possible before I shoot.I also like to hunt where trees are and you can't even make a shot over 20.Most of the time 20 would be pushing it.I guess I don't like staring at a field.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't shot the bow past 30 yards but it was money, I had the doe at 5 yards but I knew she was being chased I just didn't see the buck because he was behind me and on the opposite side of the doe. I was hunting on the ground hidden in a huge birdnest type tree, the buck was behind me for 10 mins at about 16 yards but I cant shoot through this stuff. It just figures he didnt just walk a little more on the same path. It wasn't a bad 2 first hours out with the new weapon.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I practice out to 50 yards with my Cyclone, but will not take a shot past 40 yards and prefer 30 or less. Like with a VBOW, practice at ranges longer than you will actually be shooting can make those closer shots feel much more comfortable and it will give you more confidence at 40 and under when you can drill out the bull at 50.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
JSS22 said:
I went out tonight for the first time with new crossbow, I saw a nice 8 pt chasing a doe. He was about 56 yards from me broad side, I thought it was to far but can anyone tell me what they think is the max distance to shoot??
More info is needed to give a decent answer. First of all, when did you buy your crossbow? How much did you practice? What did your practice session(s) consist of (distance, # of shots, etc.)?

Many modern crossbows and compounds can shoot well enough to kill out to 50 yards. However, you can't control the animal. They are known to jump the string at 20 yards.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts