The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is 9yr old Ben's first time shooting any type of gun and he had a ball!
He was shooting my .36 Ed Dillon flinter. No pressure or shooting paper or bullseyes, just 30grs of 3F and milk jugs full of water.
Can't think of a better combo to light up a kid's eyes and peel him away from the Playstation.

He's already bugging for the next session and wants to know when he'll be old enough to hunt deer with a muzzleloader. LOL After one range session and never handling a gun before.......very cool! We'll keep at it and keep the fire burning.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I think it's awesome that your taking time to have fun with the kid and teach him a few things before just tossing him in the woods with a gun and letting him kill stuff. To many kids now a days just tossed into the woods killing stuff and not understanding what hunting is about or being really mature enough to hunt!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is my girlfriend's young son and he's never had any exposure to hunting or shooting before but wow has he taken an interest in it quickly!
The only "gun" he has fired prior to this has been on a video game so it was quite an experience for him.

I'm in no rush to get him "killing" but will certainly continue to keep things fun and interesting for him and see where it leads. I think teaching the necessary safety and gun handling as well as him developing a little more maturity and an appreciation for the animals he is already expressing a desire to hunt is more important than rushing him into the woods right now.

You occasionally see certain kids that the outdoors just "grabs", and I think he's going to be one of them.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
thats great to see the kids getting in shooting belong long he will have his own smokepole and cutting playin cards in half way to go little guy keep up the good work

·
Registered
303 Posts
Kudos to Ben and you as well Matt. We need more role models like you. The shooting sports in general have received such bad press in the past years and it's always nice to see the positive with young shooters.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
WAY TO GO!!!! Both of you. My kids for the most part love beign outside----our house rule is you must come in dirty! LOL---The other night my 6 year old daughter used her water bottle and the baseball infield to get real dirty after soccer practice---what was I thinking!

They both have 22 cal Cricketts from up north here in PA and they are a perfect fit for kids! Might make him a nice Christmas present.?? I had a student about 6 years ago who hunts and fishes with his dad and grandpop---I get emails weekly and pics of all game taken----

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BuckStalker said:
Great job Matt. Now what smokepole are you gonna use.
Oh he's already requesting a custom rifle of his own....with " A big star and his name engraved on it"
Except he wants a .62 cal like my Early VA instead! LOL

Shooting a couple times and he wants to move right up to the big guns!

I think we'll start with a .22lr LOL

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
congrats on introducing him to shooting!

And that's a beautiful stock!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts