The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ALL, the the recent mass shootings were commited by young kids, under 25, many under 21. Most were Losers, living at home, stole the guns they used, and were NOT upstanding citizens.

I know the "Biden anti 2nd A task force" said they were listening to all sides, but we all know that's just to keep appearances.

My take on it is these KIDS were just playing out REAL LIFE as video game to settle the score to whatever demons they were trying to make right with.

I'm not saying end video games, but for those of us old people that can play video games and not act is out in school the next day, how about a little reality?

I shoot a lot. It's my hobby. I collect guns, for a hobby. I have been doing it all my life. I don't dress up in black, take pictures of myself, but a ticket for a movie 12 days in advance knowing I'm gonna kill a bunch of people there.

I should NOT be penalized because Activation made a video game that makes it really fun to shoot people on a game.

I'm not sure where the line is crossed, nor do I think the game company should be libel, however I do think that if these companies are making "games" that glorify killing folks, there should be a line crossed somewhere.

Personally, I think ALL of the shooters of the last 5 years got their ideas from these games, and then acted them out. Ban them? I'm not sure...but kids are impressionable, and it seems painfully odd that ALL THE recent shooter incedents were committed by kids under 25.

These weren't 40 somethings with a wife and 2 kids. Biden's task force, saddled with some crazy deadline of finding solutions by the end of January, (what's the rush?)...will not find a real solution. Their only real drive is to end citizen rights, not find a real solution.

This post was to bring to attention the video game issue, that will be largely ignored by EVERYBODY. The NRA will mention it, but the Regime will ignore it totally, even though the are saying they want all sides of the issue.

NOTE: Have you played these games? They are realistic as a heart attack.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
The rush is public opinion. They must strike while the anguish and fear is still new.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Indeed. They want to "pass" new laws while public opinion is still fresh from the killing of children. Adam Lanza was an avid player of Call of Duty, Black Ops.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Tomorrow Biden and his "Task Force" will be meeting with game developers and the entertainment industry. We will see what comes out of this.

But again, this also comes to a parenting issue. There is a time and place for mature video games. Just like mature movies. Some of us grew up on Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elmstreet, the original Red Dawn. Heck, we grew up on violent cartoons. Did we react like them? No, our parents whooped us when we got out of line. The government has even taken that away from us.

Let us not forget another possible notion to this type of violence and that is the psychotropic drugs given out like candy nowadays. There was a link found between Chantix and suicidal/homicidal thoughts. What kind of research has really been done on the stuff doctors give our kids?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Wyoming, I have been claiming this all along.

I lived through the Vietnam war, lost several family members and friends, saw the same with Iraq. I know what death is and what it means. Many of these kids do not realize the finality of death as they see their heroes on TV or in games get blown away and appear again in a few days or weeks .. They just don't understand the reality of it.

Education, prevention , good strong parenting skills, meaning being able to recognize a problem with your child as a parent and get help or at least say no.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For the record..Biden is a boob....but a great gun grabber...If the "gun summit" comes out where he actually wants to make kids safe, I'd be shocked....but I think it's a dog and pony show to "prove" they listened to all sides, then stripped the 2nd amendment, because it was "just too important to protect children".

Kids are impressionable, and these games are not for the faint of heart. I think this is technology catching up with society.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Video games have nothing to do with it people. Some of the worst outlaws in the old west were just kids. They didn't have video games. The problem is people we are flawed and always will be every since Cain and Able. you can't fix stupid people only by weeding them out.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I am 43 years old. I played all kinds of video games into my 30's, admittedly not as "real" as todays games but state of the art for the times. I watched the Looney Tunes cartoons and Tom and Jerry where everyone was getting smacked in the face, hit on the head, squashed or blown up. I heard all the Rap songs and Judas Priest and Metal Band lyrics. I have never raped anyone, never shot anyone, never dropped a safe or anvil on anyone's head, never killed a cop, or never punched my Grandmother in the face because some nit-wit on an album "instructed" me to or because I saw it in a movie or on T.V. The people that do these things have something wrong with them already. Then someone (usually a lawyer) wants to blame everyone and everything BUT the person responsible. There is ZERO personal accountability left anymore. There is ZERO reward for excelling on your own anymore. If you do something wrong, it is someone else's fault. If your team can't win a game, well you get a trophy too....
We punish the good and reward the nit-wits. SOCIETY is more to blame than any video game.
I have been with the same woman since 1985 (since I was 15) Married to her since 1989. Raised and still raising 3 boys. Two grown and one still in high school. They listened to all my 70's, 80's and 90's music, they played and play all the new games, saw all the horror movies. They were taught to be rewarded when they excelled and punished when they screwed up. They were raised in a hunting, outdoors and firearm household and were taught from an early age to respect all three. They hold open doors at the mall for people coming in and out, just as I was taught to do. They give up their seat in the waiting room if a woman, elderly or small child needs it. They are respectful and courteous and have manners. They know I love them all more than life itself and also know where the line is drawn from being their "friend" ends and where being their Father starts. I hold them accountable for THEIR actions, just as I was held accountable for mine. I trust them and would defend them beyond the point of embarrassment if they looked me in the eyes and said what they are telling me was true. They know lying and cheating doesn't work. They have held these credentials despite playing video games, watching hollywood's finest, and listening to talentless millionaire gansters Rap or watching talented millionaire gangsters play professional sports.
I hope that my wife and I have helped them to be the young men they are today. I can't and wouldn't blame anyone or anything else if they were otherwise.

·
Registered
19,190 Posts
I just got done playing about an hour of Modern Warfare- great game.

I think the claim that kids are more prone today to "suggestions" from these games may be a consequence of us isolating kids (in general) from reality.

They go to schools that accept and condone mediocrity and being at the bottom (not your fault). They are practically outlawed from doing any meaningful work (recall how Gingrich was raked over the coals for daring to suggest maybe kids could work minimal hours at school for pay?).

It's practically illegal for a kid to wait for a schoolbus by themselves. And that last one ticks me off. There's 2 kids in my neighborhood, brothers, that have to be in HS. They've got to be 6ft, 200+ Lb apiece, and they aren't fat. Their Mom waits with them outside the house until the bus comes, in a residential neighborhood in rural MD. Where I grew up in Philly if your Mom waited with you for the bus in 3rd grade you'd get beat up for being a Mommas boy and a sissy, every day until your Mom stayed in the house.

I see parents in our neighborhood drive their kid from the front door to the end of the driveway and they sit in the car together 'til the school bus comes along.

The fear and 24/7 control is ridiculous and unhealthy IMO, they're basically kept in a crib until they graduate HS.

But heck, I recall my Grandmom being scared when I drove across country and I suggested at times I'd sleep in my truck. She was convinced I'd be murdered. Yup, a tricked out 1979 Bronco w/44 inch tires and rebel flag in the window, chew stains down the driver side- and a 25 year old 6ft 240 Lb powerlifter inside. The usual victim of wierdos on the highways

BH

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
LOL yea its video games and Rock-n-Roll is the Devil.....

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Let me clarify, I'm not making it to be the "excuse", no does it make it OK. I'm merely saying that it has an impact. Especially, since all of these shooters are just young kids.

I do played games most of my life, but was taught right from wrong.

There's lots at play here, not just one thing.

The shooting yesterday with a kid with a shotgun. Why does a high school kid have underfed access to a shotgun? How does he go home during school, then come back with a shotgun? How did he get back into the school with a shotgun?

There's big problems right there. Does video games have anything to do with that? Maybe, maybe not.

EACH of these events were crimes, or perhaps even domestic terror. Each had several laws broken. More laws will NOT prevent these attacks.

Like the NRA said yesterday, the Regime seems more interested in attacking the 2nd Amendment than how to make schools safer.

·
Registered
19,190 Posts
Rock-n-Roll is the Devil.....
I recall spinning a Black Sabbath record backwards once when I was @ 12, nothing happened...

BH

·
Registered
19,190 Posts
The shooting yesterday with a kid with a shotgun. Why does a high school kid have underfed access to a shotgun? How does he go home during school, then come back with a shotgun? How did he get back into the school with a shotgun?
I understand your concern. I also think we should look at it (as a society) in terms of how many hundreds of millions of kids over the past century have had access to guns at home and never touched them, took them out of the house, or used them in any sort of crime. My Mom bought me a 20ga when I was 10, I kept it in my closet in my room. Never took it to school or used it in an irresponsible manner.

I'm of the opinion we need to just punish people for the crimes they actually commit, as opposed to social engineering and punishing people for their "potential" to do a crime.

I would not classify these as "domestic terror"- they are terrifying, but terrorism is related to attacks on a guvmn't/society for the purpose of changing the guvmn't/society. This is different than crime.

Some kid shooting the kid that has been bullying him is not terrorism.

BH

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Bumblehick said:
Rock-n-Roll is the Devil.....
I recall spinning a Black Sabbath record backwards once when I was @ 12, nothing happened...

BH
Sure it did, you messed the needle up and your mom had to get a new one before putting the Christmass records on.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
I asked my father who has seen a few years, if there really are more. He said yes and no. He says there have always been nuts, the guy who kidnapped the girl in Shade Gap (Bicycle Pete) was a home town what now would be callesd a tradgedy. The guy shot 3 people and kidnapped a girl.
In his opinion it is just that we have more people and no one is held responsible for their actions. So the law of averages says that more people equals more nuts, and the lesser nuts figure they can get away with it since they have been coddled since birth.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
video games are not the problem. they may be a fixation for people with problems, but they are not the problem. when i was a kid we played army, cowboys, etc and they were very violent at times. however, we all knew what a real gun was capable of and, most importantly, WE WERE'NT ALL MEDICATED. there in lies the problem with most of these nuts. they are either going on or going off psycotropic medications for their problems. couple that with social disorders, bullying, access to guns and improper male role models in their lives and that is what is causing these shootings. video games are like guns. they don't kill people. people kill people. the drug manufacturers and the doctors prescribing them are the ones to be answering for these issues.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
I'll put a different spin on this. I think in some cases violent video games and movies may provide a outlet for some who may have a tendency to do harm.

The problem is some people will do harm to others reguardless.

In many cases no one knows who will act on their impluse to do harm.

In our "civilized" society it's easier to blame the instruments of destruction than those who wield them.

·
Registered
746 Posts
40 years old
Avid Hunter
Avid Shooter
Avid Video Game Player (What <<<<did he just say that)

Yes, I have an xbox in my bedroom, my kids both teenagers have on in theirs too. On any given night when im board you can find me playing on XBok live Call of Duty "Black OPS II" is my prefered game now, unitl the next big one comes out.

Having said all of that i will say this. Do my teenagers both 17 and 15 play violent video games where you shoot each other and blood spatters all over the the place----YES they do.

the difference is, i tought my kids to respect "Reality" they understand that this is make believe land. They both hunt and have witnessed the damage done by a gun to an animal. They both know once you pull that "REAL" trigger there is no taking it back. They have both Shot,Feild Dressed, and Butched Deer/rabbit/turkeys etc.

They are Educated and Reminded the difference between the "Virtual World" and the "Real World" Believe me as a responsible parent if I ever thought for a minute they were letting the two overlap i would shut them down so fast it would make your head spin.

But read what I said.....I said "Responsible Parent" I think this is one of our failures. Im in my kids world, some time to much for their liking. They have phones but I get to read their messages when I want, they have face book and twitter but I have to have access to them, they have XBOX but I remain on their friends lists and can join their parties when I want.

Its part of being a good parent these days, understanding the Social networking scene is the only way to keep track of what your kids are doing. If one of my kids makes a tweet of post that is inappropriate they lose their phone and they know it.

You can not parent sitting on the couch thats for sure.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts