The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After nearly a year of training and several rabbits that didn't present a shot once the season opened, the pups finally ran one to the gun.

It was a long, pounding chase that started in a thicket and hit the corn. If I hadn't seen them strike, I would have thought maybe a deer. Very few checks. When Mr Bunny came back the dogs were about 30 yards behind. Once he got past me a let him have it at about 15 yards. At the shot the hounds stopped for a second (one of the longest seconds of my life) then continued to pound the rest of the way to the downed bunny. Any thoughts of them retrieving were quickly dashed as they were ready to eat it on the spot.

Sorry about the bad pic. Every time both bunny and hounds were in the same frame there some chomping going on.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Great job by you and the hounds. It's always gratifying when everything finally comes together, especially between man and dog(s).

Hope you weren't counting on that bunny for dinner, though. Looks like his remains might be a little on the thin side.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
good run for the pups especially making him bust out of the corn.

·
Registered
6,420 Posts
Real nice looking pups!NOTHING like the sound of beagles on a rabbit!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Congrats! It's tough to beat watching pups get it together. Your post took me back to the excitement I felt with all of my dogs' first rabbits. It's bittersweet because I don't get quite the same charge shooting them in front of seasoned hounds. Pups are the best.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Thats great! Tried to get one over my pups today but they were to hard to see in the thick brush. How's Queeny doing for you? We'll have to get together for a hunt.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
caxtell said:
Thats great! Tried to get one over my pups today but they were to hard to see in the thick brush. How's Queeny doing for you? We'll have to get together for a hunt.
Queeny is doing well. Just like you said, she won't run a deer. She will, however, accompany another hound on a 2.5 mile deer chase.
The leader of this trash running pack has been dealt with accordingly.

Would like to get together for a hunt. Be it bunnies or yotes on a Sunday.

NY deer starts tomorrow. Plan is to shoot the first two legal deer so that I can get back to bunny hunting.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts