The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday afternoon several members of the North Central Chapter 630 of Pheasants Forever loaded up their dogs and gear and headed out to a licensed Pheasant Propagator’s where we helped capture and crate a hundred pheasants and chukar. From there we headed down to Rosebud Mining’s Quennstown Hunt Club in Armstrong County to meet members of Brady’s Bend American Legion Post 488 and a group of Wounded Warriors.

After our arrival we were introduced to the hunt organizers, five of the pre-selected Wounded Warriors, the ones’ Caregiver Wife and another Warrior’s Service Dog. There were a couple other Warriors slated to arrive Friday evening and another Saturday morning but due to unforeseen issues and a late winter snow storm a couple canceled and we ended up with only five Wounded Warriors and the Caregiver Spouse as hunters for Saturday and Sunday.

As one of the Dog Handlers I didn’t get a lot of opportunities to take pictures but perhaps HPA member Nes can jump in and post some of the many pictures he took on Saturday. Since Nes’ dog was away for training he did most of the still photography Saturday while an other member spent the entire weekend taking professional grade video footage.

Unfortunately I didn’t get any pictures of my morning hunters, Warriors Carlos and Tony, or their harvests but I did get a picture of my second two hunters, Warrior Mike and his caregiver wife Sonya with the birds they harvested in the afternoon hunt.

Warrior Mike and Caregiver/wife Sonya along with one of the event organizers and 17-year-old member Cory and me with our dogs with the afternoon harvests from that hunt.

At the end of the day on Saturday we got a group photo of the Warrior hunters, the dog handlers with their dogs and the Brady’s Bend American Legion event organizer. Also pictured are the day’s harvests.

After the days hunt the Warriors went on an ATV ride while some of the event organizers cleaned birds and others worked on preparing a delicious evening meal sponsored by Rosebud Mining. Then after dinner everyone sat around the beautiful lodge relaxing in conversation as we all build friendships with the Warriors and other event volunteers.

Sunday morning we had breakfast then stocked the last thirty birds into three separate hunt areas and once again broke into three hunt groups.

The hunters I had Sunday morning, Warriors Judd and Brian, did very well and harvested nearly all of the birds we had released in their hunt area and only failed to harvest a coupe birds that simply didn’t get high enough to offer safe shots over my dog.

After the morning hunt I did manage to get a picture of Warriors Judd and Brian with Rosebud’s Mining Vice President Dane, my dog and I.

After the Sunday morning hunt I got a picture of the Warriors, Caregiver/wife Sonya, Service Dog, Kane, and American Legion event organizer Bruce standing behind the morning harvests.

And finally a picture of the Warriors, dog handlers and some of organizers and support staff. Several others were involved with preparing the outstanding meals either weren’t present at the time or to busy to get into the Sunday group picture.

This was a great event that was very well organized. I am also confident that the event helped in both the healing and bonding process of some of our Nations Wounded Heroes. I feel honored to have been able to have met these brave men and encourage others to get involved with such events within you areas. It really was a very rewarding weekend.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
We are honored to know you contributed to such a worthy group of recipients, God bless you guys as well.......

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
Great stuff Dick!! What a great way to give back a little to this group of true heroes!!

Having hunted those fields and stayed at the lodge a few times, I can say you guys gave them a true first rate hunt that they will never forget.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Great stuff, Dick. Looks like a wonderful event. Congrats to you and your PF chapter for putting it together, along with the American Legion.

Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Dick,

Excellent, thank-you for your time and commitment to a great cause.

Tom P.

·
Super Moderator
13,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks everyone, but the real credit goes to the men and woman who have served and ended up paying for our freedoms in their own blood, tears and life long injuries.

Those of us who showed up last weekend to expose them to some quality time doing the things we find so enjoyable were really the ones honored to have spent time with such noble heroes.

Of course this event wouldn’t have been possible without the extreme generosity of the owner of Rosebud Mining and the many employees who were there both on the front lines and behind the scenes in both paid and volunteer time. So, a great deal of the credit also goes to their generosity and dedication to this event.

I just wish more people would take the time to get more involved with our combat injured men and women by trying to involve them in the things we do and enjoy. Though some of them have some physical limitations you would also be amazed at their ability to overcome many of those limitations.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Thanks everyone, but the real credit goes to the men and woman who have served and ended up paying for our freedoms in their own blood, tears and life long injuries.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Deleted</span>

1 - 20 of 26 Posts