The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This story began on Saturday morning when a gobbler flew past my hen and jake decoys. Flew right on past in a pasture field and landed out of sight. I called to him and he gobbled but didn't come back towards me but headed to my left in a little open saddle in the field. He kept gobbling on the ground but was not coming in. I figured he was with a real hen. I backed out and went back on Monday, May 6th.

As I was getting out of my truck, I heard a gobbler just about where the saddle in the field was. I swung to my right since I wanted not to be busted by the gobbler. I approached an open pasture field but stayed on the edge. All of my calls were ignored so I stood up to peek over some trees in front of me. 150 yds to my left was a gobbler in full strut. He stayed there for 30 minutes with a hen. Again, I backed out on that bird. My plan was formulated for Wednesday.

This morning I headed for the strut zone with my hen and Jake decoy. I got them located in the field and got settled in to wait. 45 minutes later heard two gobblers behind me at about 150 yds so I purred and yelped to them. They moved slightly so I turned back to see if any were in the open field behind me. As I was looking I heard something hitting one of my decoys. I turned back to look at my decoys and there was a gobbler on top of the jake which he had knocked over. Of course my shotgun was out of position, so I just watched him in a frozen position. He continued to assault the jake then after about 5 minutes, he moved on to the hen decoy. He pecked at her a few times and when she wouldn't respond he walked away from her. When he walked straight away from me, I was able to aim at his neck and down he went.

I wondered how he got to the decoys so quickly- he came in silently, followed a fence row and never gobbled. As I was watching the antics with my decoys, I had to smile-it was a good thing I had my face mask on-the shine from my teeth probably would have spooked him!

A really nice gobbler with a 9 inch beard, 1 inch spurs, and about 18 lbs. Plus I learned a lot, this was my first turkey I ever shot over decoys. But the surprise of hearing him hitting my jake decoy will not be something I'll soon forget. That was a surprise!

Good hunting and be safe.

·
Premium Member
24,151 Posts
Congrats!!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Congrats. Its been a strange season for me. Called in 2 gobblers that actually gobbled and they both hung up at 70-80 yds. The 2 that I have been calling for that got killed have come in silent.

·
Registered
823 Posts
That is awesome, man. Congratulations.

I hate when they come in quiet. They always seem to get the jump on us.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UJ, you got that right! When he first hit the decoy, I thought he flew off the roost directly to the Jake. But after I thought about it for a while, I would have heard he wingbeats as he tried to slow himself down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts