The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow they're calling for a steady snowfall in the AM. Days like that, I'll go with Silo's only, I hate brushing off FB's and shells. It always seems like when the snow stops and you brush them off, you're scrambling back to the blinds be cause they're coming in during the breif break.

My one buddy i'm going with completely objects to silo's, even though he sees me killing them every season using them.

What is your strategy when a steady snow is coming down? Do you jjust deal, shrink the spread or completely adjust the game?

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Basically, what is the bigger handicap? One dimensional silo's or half white decoys when snow is falling?

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
We use FB decoys even in steady snow. We only brush them off if they get really covered. We have birds decoy right into the spread even with white decoys out. In fact some of our best days are in a constant snow with white decoys, go figure. I think when the snow is falling and the ground is white the birds are looking like crazy for any place that may be holding accessible food and they don't hesitate to drop in the decoys regardless of what they look like.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Go with the silos in steady snow for sure. I'm with you sweeping snow off decoys is cumbersome and counter-productive to the hunt. As a Side note, That is one of the reasons I really hate hunting out of layouts, somebody is Always out of them doing something and screwing up flocks.

Also, I think looking different is good which is another reason you probably grind Em with silos in the snow every year. Everyone else is pullin their trailers and dropping 100 bigfoots in the field.

Silo's - 1 Full bodies- 1

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
We always ran sillo's only during steady snow... Killed a lot of geese that way. An as mentioned by Drakes above since the hunters are the only thing brown they can stay in the blinds with snow covers on em. Key with sillos is to spread them out. That way eventhough they're 2D the birds never loose sigt of some of them.

·
Registered
363 Posts
YES! Have had many a days afield where we killed 30+ geese and ducks on top of that just over silos. Silos are the only way to hunt the snow in my opinion.

·
Registered
19,637 Posts
snowing so hard right now I can't see past the windshield wipers

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Birch812 said:
snowing so hard right now I can't see past the windshield wipers
If its snowing that hard you shouldnt be reading this forum and driving... LOL

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
So it's the first Saturday that the AP is closed and I'm dyin to know if y'all learned Em' a lesson in the snow today...

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
We had probably 600-700 birds work one field I have today. Went out Friday at 11:00 to find about 200 already in the field. Shagged them off and set up quick but they decided to hit one of the local golf courses that while we have sole permission to hunt, we didn't want to pressure them like that and try to move them again. Set up today by 10:00 and the birds started flying right at 10:20. The winds were steady at 20 mph with gusts to 30+ and my Big Al's Silos were about doing the Irish jig in the stiff winds! As the first group locked up one of my buddies bumped the door on his layout which of course popped open, flairing the birds at about 50 yards...so close! The next group wasn't really a group but more like flock, after flock...after flock of birds coming in very high over the trees off the water, maple leafing and dropping almost straight down on top of us. I only called the shot twice on two smaller groups but due to some seriously poor shooting on our part, we only took 2 birds. I didn't want to bugger upo all the bigger bunches working the field so we just sat there and watched the biggest bunch of birds I have seen in over a year work the high winds and let them land well beyond the deeks. We'll be after them Monday for sure though....Still have almost 4 weeks of hunting left after all.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
shot a pile this morning overs silos!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
i always describe it as "they panic" that all the foods going away. Gotta get some fast!

Bearklr said:
I think when the snow is falling and the ground is white the birds are looking like crazy for any place that may be holding accessible food and they don't hesitate to drop in the decoys regardless of what they look like.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Some snow is "good". Snow with some serious cold is fantastic Snow, cold and some 15-20 mph winds?...MAGIC!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts