The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well The big game season has ended for me and now im focused on my favorite day to be in the woods. The second opening of small game, but before i go there ive got a lil something id like to share, with you all. As you may have gathered a renewed friendships occured this past year a friendship that is closer than some family members are, hence the LIL BRO, BIG BRO references, you all have shared in our endeavors since our reuniting, which Woddy has filled you in on pretty much as they have happened, i have staid pretty much in the background and not posting as much as he, but reading each and everyone, from the pig roast, to our night fishing trip to our days afield together. All have which have touched me deeply as the experiences themselves have. I'd like to take just moment and say "THANK YOU" to my brother for everything we have shared this past year, it has truely been the best year of my life, no baggage form a childhood destroyed, years of a bad marraige and divorce, just a wounderfull years of great memories, which i will never forget. I'm so thankfull now for not growing up with a biologial brother, because I dont think our friendship wouldve turned into what it has form me. Although your going a hundered miles an hour all the time, and i about half that, youve taught and ive learned, yeah we dont agree on everything, but i have time to work on that,,,, just kidding yo have an unselfish way of doing for others when it comes to the outdoors and i think its one of your best qualtites, keep shareing it with others, it when you truley shine. I'm glad i drove home alone from hunting lastnight, beacuse it was kinda emotional, this year afield was very importatnt to me and you knew that and you went above and beyond to make it great, and you succeeded. I know our years afield have just begun, thanks agian for this one, it will never be forgotten. Your Brother, Knight

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Without a doubt, one of the best posts on here this year.

Thank you Knight!

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Knight50cal said:
Well The big game season has ended for me and now im focused on my favorite day to be in the woods. The second opening of small game, but before i go there ive got a lil something id like to share, with you all. As you may have gathered a renewed friendships occured this past year a friendship that is closer than some family members are, hence the LIL BRO, BIG BRO references, you all have shared in our endeavors since our reuniting, which Woddy has filled you in on pretty much as they have happened, i have staid pretty much in the background and not posting as much as he, but reading each and everyone, from the pig roast, to our night fishing trip to our days afield together. All have which have touched me deeply as the experiences themselves have. I'd like to take just moment and say "THANK YOU" to my brother for everything we have shared this past year, it has truely been the best year of my life, no baggage form a childhood destroyed, years of a bad marraige and divorce, just a wounderfull years of great memories, which i will never forget. I'm so thankfull now for not growing up with a biologial brother, because I dont think our friendship wouldve turned into what it has form me. Although your going a hundered miles an hour all the time, and i about half that, youve taught and ive learned, yeah we dont agree on everything, but i have time to work on that,,,, just kidding yo have an unselfish way of doing for others when it comes to the outdoors and i think its one of your best qualtites, keep shareing it with others, it when you truley shine. I'm glad i drove home alone from hunting lastnight, beacuse it was kinda emotional, this year afield was very importatnt to me and you knew that and you went above and beyond to make it great, and you succeeded. I know our years afield have just begun, thanks agian for this one, it will never be forgotten. Your Brother, Knight

Sure wish I could post HOW I would say it to you...

So, I'll have to fix it up a bit..

"When I go hunting, trapping or Fishing, I WANT out of the Vehicle as FAST as I can and to where I plan on hunting or fishing or off to check the traps...I do not get upset with you but sure do raze the heck out of you for it.. Get your Butt in Gear boy, There Be Hunting to Do!!!!"

So, Janet tells me the same thing sometimes.. Why do I have to go 100 mph when I go hunting or fishing.. Because that is how we did it when I was young and learning and I hope I never slow down, but if I do, I hope it is from a heart attack and it happens while enjoying what I enjoy pretty much out of life!
If that day comes, Sprinkle some Fox Pee on me, kick me in the bushs and let them have at the worthless body!

You'll ALWAYS be my Little Brother, No one else has come close to being what you have been in our years of Friendship...Many have Tried, ONLY 1 has come Close and he hunted with you and I the last day of the season, but he just is lacking something I can not put my finger on to my Big Brother to me!

The Season isn't all over yet.. we still have Flintlock season and Small Critter season... those Red Squirrels are gonna HATE Life when you get the Single Six...NOW is the Time, You love the Cold, I LOVE the Snow and some what of the cold... We will be making many more memories in the next few months and for the rest of our lives!

It is GREAT that we Reconnected like we did.,.. we never looked back at Bad times..OK, I'm TRUELY Sorry about the Deal with Michelle, That is TRUTH

We will go FURTHER From here..

I have to say this... for the past 12 years, I hunted deer, but not like I did 13 years ago...This year, YOU My Little Brother Filled a Void in me that has been missing for 12 years of Deer Hunting...That was loosing Dad...You filled the Spot in my heart I needed to be filled with the lose of not having him hunting with me any longer... Setting in the stand each day wasn't thoughts of years past like I did of "Wow, I sure wish Dad was here"
NOPE, This year it was... What the heck is My Lilttle Brother seeing, heck I can text him and find out"

Thanks for being who you are!

ONWARD!
More Memories to make and more posts or stories of Great hunts together to share with the guys and gals here on Hunting PA!

the BEST PART of it ALL, Your First Front Stuffer Kill!!!!!!!

·
Banned
10,004 Posts
I gotta tell you, Woody. My son in law calls me "Ricochet Rabbit" for the same reasons. Nice thread.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Re: A Special Thanks-

I have to make this Addition to Knight's WELL Written out feelings of our past year together after not seeing each other for 13 years... it has to be added for it is somethings he learned pretty fast in just a few days of teaching and he was then able to Teach another what I had taught him and he learned fast....it will be a little long...

New Years Eve, Knight and I had plans to meet up at our Buddy's Farm....Knight was going to Hunt Squirrels and Rabbits and I was going to sneak out thru the field and stand in my Tree Stand and wait out some bedded deer with the Flinter while he snuck around for the Squirrels and Rabbits and bumped the bedded deer to me....

Well, our agreement the night before was, I would go to the farm before he and settle in at the tree stand before daylight and wait for maybe the deer to sneak in from the other properties and maybe get a shot, if they were already in there bedded down, then he would bump them to me when he came in around 11:00 am...

Well, I had bought a new alarm clock a few weeks before due to my old 1 getting to a point where it had a mind of it's own and sometimes even when set to go off, would NEVER go off...so, I had the New Alarm Clock set for 4 am...8 am I wake up...the new alarm clock never went off... I set it wrong from not being completly used to it from it being new and set it for 4 pm......

So, I got ready and then called Knight to see if he was still planning on being at the farm at 11...Nope, he had to clean the drive way of the snow we had gotten the night before, then he was stopping at the store for a few things for our buddy who owned the farm and then would be out, maybe by 12:30-1:00 pm....

I Told Knight that I would go out at 11 and sneak in behind the barn to maybe catch the deer bedded in the hemlocks like they normally do when there is a snow/ice or wind storm and would just wait there at the dirt pile behind the barn till he came out, then I would sneak out thru the field and go to my tree stand and he would sneak around looking for squirrels and rabbits and maybe bump the deer out of the Honeysuckle bushes if they were not bedded behind the barn in the hemlocks....
I never made it to the tree stand that day and Knight never got to sneak around for Squirrels and Rabbits..

I got to the farm and snuck down behind the barn to the dirt pile and slowly looked around it at the bottom edge of the hemlocks where the deer normally bed... Nothing... OK, I'll just ease up over the top of the dirt pile and stand there and watch down in the wood lot till Knight shows up...

I no sooner got to the top of the dirt pile and looked out into the woodlot and there are 3 doe coming toward me about 200 yards out... they looked as if they would come down the trail and come right in to the hemlocks and offer me a shot...
I had that thought going thru my mind "This is going to be to easy, this doesn't happen this way to many times!!"
As I'm thinking this, The lead doe, decides she doesn't want to come up over the hill to the hemlocks(She did not know I was there) when she got to the point where the trail comes up to the hemlocks, she went to the left and on the other trail that crosses the creek amnd goes up to the Highway...All I could do was stand there and watch, IF I would have been comfortable with a 100 yard shot with the Flinter, I could have taken 1 safely, but I do not feel comfortable with the flinter on shots over 50 yards, so I just stood there and watched her lead the other 2 doe across the creek, up the Hay Field toward the road....
As some of you remember, we got snow that day and things were slushy on the roads, but at the time, there was no snow falling and you could see a good distance without a problem...
Well, those 3 doe went across the creek, up the hay field to the road side and Stopped...I was thinking, ok, maybe they will get nervous about the traffic and come back over here to the hemlocks...NOPE, the lead doe stood and looked left right left like a person would do to cross a road and then as there was no cars she started a slow walk out onto the road....I looked off behind the Barn at the Highway and could see a small car coming...the driver had a good 100-200 yard sight of the deer before he would get to them...
That guy NEVER took his foot off the Gas Peddel!
That doe was walking slow and she met the car right in the middle of the lane...she went a good 20 feet in the air and got thrown up on a 30 high bank and slid back down to the road side....

I backed off the dirt pile, dumped my flash pan and went back to the truck and went down over the hill to make sure the guy and lady were ok in the car and then check the deer...The guy ended up not wanting the deer so I took it.. he also got very Lucky and only got a grapefruit size dent in his hood...

Well, After I got the doe in the truck and drove back up over the hill to the barn, I called Knight and told him I needed help with a doe I had gotten.. he did not believe me at first that I had gotten 1 and he really did not believe me on HOW I had gotten it...

Well, when he got there, a few of the other guys were at the farm to hang out with our buddy...We have 1 guy who's Dad used to hunt years ago and his Dad had tried to teach him how to skin and butcher deer, but he forgot a lot of what his Dad had taught him....Jay has been asking me since his Dad died 5 years ago if I would teach him how to skin and butcher for he was thinking of getting back into hunting and wanted to know how to do things before he got back into hunting so he would not be lost when he shot a deer...Every time I had a deer in the past 5 years of him asked me to teach him, he has been at work and could not learn..

Well, Jay was there, so I told him Teaching time was about to start...he was already for it...
I took the doe out to the field where we have a bone/feathers/fat/junk parts of critters scrap pile and gutted her out...

When I came back, Knight was ready to help out...
He has shown me, that he is not wanting to let another do things when it comes to skinning and butchering and wants to do it himself...
Well, he and Jay headed for the cherry tree and I secured the doe to a Grable and we hoistered her up into the cherry tree to skin her...
I wasn't prepared for what took place... Knight started skinning and was going at it pretty fast and explaining to Jay what he was doing and skinning away....
Every once in awhile, he would ask me to explain something to Jay, but mostly, All I was doing was explaining Why you didn't want to cut this part...Knight did all the explaining on HOW to do it...then when it was time to Quarter the doe, he started explaining to Jay why we quartered them up and where to do the Cuts... He pretty much explained it like I explained it to him that Monday he got his doe in early muzzleloader season... He showed Jay how to follow the natural lines in the front legs to cut them from the body, how to go about cutting the neck off, how to seperate the ribcage and back from the rear legs...

All the while I'm listening to Knight explain things to Jay... I did not get to tell Knight, but I was Proud of him on how he was able to explain things to Jay and it Showed that He Listened to me when I was explaining things to him the day we skinned and quartered his doe...

He told Jay about recipes and how this part tasted good with this recipe and how this part on the deer was basically good for burger, where this other part was NEVER to go into Burger for it was the Best Piece of a deer.....

He worked on skinning that Doe pretty fast... I think it took maybe a whole 10 minutes to get the hide off her...he was pulling and slicing with his knife and pulling away real fast...
Was the easiest deer skin I have ever done!

Jay was all ears and listening on everything Knight explained to him, I'm hoping Jay retains what he learned that day like Knight did in 1 day back in October!

That Saturday 1/2/2010, I called Knight at 9 am and asked him if he wanted to help butcher up that doe.....I never saw him move so fast in my life... he said he would be right over and he was to my place pretty fast...
When we started, I do not remember him even asking me HOW to do any cuts, he just asked what I was planning on making out of it and went to work on cutting meat off the bones to grind or helping me cut the back straps out....he went to work on the parts like he had done this many times over in his life...he used to always take his deer to a Butcher Shop and have them done...Knight retained much information from just cutting his deer up in October and he remembered it and as he has said "No more paying someone to butcher my deer since I learned how to do it myself"

He is on his way to be able to teach others how to do things he has learned in the past year from me!

I'm Very Glad he has taken the time to ask me how to do things on Skinning, Butchering his own deer and he has paid attention and learned and retained what he learned!

I have to say this... Knight has been a VERY GOOD FRIEND for many years...We are not Biological Brothers, which some of you on here have misunderstood... Knight and I have been friends since Grade School and we have been so close thru the years that his Mom is My Mom and My Mom is His Mom...We have been asked a few times over the years if we are true Brothers...when asked that Question, both of us always says YES, for we ARE Brothers at Heart.. we have been thru so much in our lives together that it isn't a Friendship, it is a Brothership!

His posting this really struck me when I first read it, and still does each time I reread it... Knight is a Big Guy, with a HUGE HEART!!!! I have seen him go thru many tuff times in his life and he has seen me go thru some very tuff times.. it is GREAT that he has always been there for me and I have always been there for him!

His next thing he wants to learn is how to do the curing and smoking of the meats from deer and other wild critters... I'm Sure from how he asks and takes a hands on approuch with things, he is going to be very good at it once I show him how to do those things...

I also created Knight to become a "Deer Heart Junky" I try to save the hearts of out the deer to grind up and add into the bologna mix or to Pickle them...Well, the day he and I butchered this doe up, I had the heart and cut it up, showed him how to remove the valves and to not use them for they would end up not grinding and would cause a chewy spot in the blolgna...
He wanted to try out the heart for he never ate a deer heart before, so I took a few pieces and put salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder on them and fried them up in Butter...he LOVED them and said from here on out, he is making sure he saves all the hearts from deer he shoots and will be telling his Nephew and Brother-In-Law to save the hearts from thier deer for him and might even kick me out of the way when I'm gutting my deer I shoot to steal the hearts....He is addicted to those deer hearts from just a few pieces that day!

It is GREAT having a Lil Brother like Knight!
I'm very glad he is who he is and holds a fondness in his heart for the outdoors like he does!

Just have to say here to Knight.. I'm VERY GLAD you enjoyed yourself this past hunting season...There WILL Be MORE to come!
Just remember, Crappie time isn't to far off....we will start over again very soon where we picked up last year from not seeing each other for 13 years!
Thanks for being My Lil Brother all these years....

The Spirit of the Wild Calls us, We Answer it together... We Enjoy it together!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts