The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On another forum, it was torn apart. This wrong; that wrong.
Well at least I could probably leave it out overnight and an under 40 hunter would distainly look at it and never even think of taking it.
Probably a good thing. It is old and only has a weight limit of 250 lbs. It could prove highly dangerous to some modern users of tree stands.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Most of the kids around here just steal the bottoms. Makes it easier for the owner to carry out. Guess the next year he wont have much of a fall.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I use a 1 man blind, i put it up take it with me when i leave. I have killed coyotes, deer, and turkey at very close ranges out of it. It might weigh 10 pounds. There is nothing better. My son in law missed 3 gobblers with a bow out of it within 30 minutes. Thats him lol. He does kill deer with it, he bent the rest in the blind somehow.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Chaos said:
GET OFF MY ISLAND!!!
That sir is funny....

And if you think some of the hunters are overweight, go to a local elementry school. Just take a look 85% of the kids there are 30 lbs over weight. Just wait until they are 30.

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
he has made multiple posts since this one....not sure why he isn't clairifing what he wrote or why.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
The first thing I thought was maybe he meant an "old" treestand might not be safe due to it's age. I have more than one I've retired because there's no way for me to load test rusty cables and old nylon ( or whatever) straps that might ve weakened from UV rays. Straps that could be very weak don't generally show much sign that their strength is gone. Most have an expiration date and probably most treestands get used way past that.

They say there's 2 kind of treestand hunter, those that have fallen and those who just haven't fallen yet.

Never seen a post from DD that seemed meant to antagonize so I say cut some slack till he stops back here

·
Super Moderator
12,803 Posts
I made several hang on tree stands over the years and kept them in some of the different camps in states I hunted. They were cheap to make and I flew to most of my hunting locations at that time. They were heavy, but the worked very well. In fact they were much stronger than many of the manufactured stands today.

However, I am only using manufactured stands today whereas, they are lighter, smaller and easier to erect. But I do check all my stands every fall before the season on a tree at a step up level and I replace any parts that shows signs of wear and I do not hesitate to discard stands in the early stages when they start to show signs of being unsafe. I also store them indoors.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts