The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2008 season started out without my lifelong hunting partner my dad. even though he was unable to go the past 6 years because he had a stroke he was always with me. he passed away 12-27-07 a very bad day for us.my archery season was pretty eventful with seeing many bucks some offering shots some not. then rifle season came... i had shot a buck every year since 1994 and my dad had been there for every one. i hunted hard and was often drifting into thoughts of seasons past how id walk to dads stand after i had shot one to find him bent over a fine buck removing its guts. this happened more times than it didnt i found myself asking for him to help me get my 15th buck in a row only to go home empty handed well dad saved the best for my opening day of flintlock no sooner had i got in my stand and i was surrounded by deer having a doe tag and wanting to harvest a jerky deer i almost pulled the trigger on a fat doe but something stopped me and five minutes later my buck came from the brush only to find my bullet entering his shoulder dad sent him my way i knew it. i walked slowly to him shaking like it was the first deer i had ever gotten it was a small 7 point almost identicle to the rack that dad had got 25 yrs earlier on the first hunt i was ever able to go on with him it was the single greatest day of hunting in my life after i got him tagged and got pics with my son a bald eagle flew over i am not a very relgious man but i knew that was a sign that he had sent me that deer not a big one but the best buck i will ever shoot

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
That is special tree... very special indeed. Thanks for sharing that with us.

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
atta boy! Congrats. Your dad is beaming with pride!

·
Registered
981 Posts
Nice story.
I to lost my Dad this year in April. He hunted with me until about 3 years ago when he just couldn't do it anymore. After that I still went myself but it was different. I was in the process of changing jobs this past October and decided to take a few days in between to do some archery hunting up state. On the 3rd day of my hunting I shot a nice 10 pointer (my first 10 pointer) and on October 31st. That day would have been my Dad's 81st birthday. I called home to tell my wife what happened and she asked me if I knew what day it was. I said "sure." It still brings a tear to my eyes.

·
Super Moderator
28,386 Posts
Great story treestand91. Thanks for sharing that emotional experience with us. No doubt in my mind that your Dad was involved with your hunt. I know mine is still always hunting with me.

·
Registered
28,492 Posts
treestand91,

I have seen your posts about your 2008 success and how you share that success with your family and I thought to myself, good HPA has picked up yet another GREAT member really in tune with what hunting means, well this post really drives it home for sure.

Very sorry to hear about you loosing your Dad a year ago, but from what I have seen he could be nothing but proud about his boy. Congrats on one fine season with your family, and when I say that I want you to know I am including your Dad.
. as I bet he enjoyed it as well.

Keep making him proud. You say you aren't very religous, well let me tell you, to some hunting is a religion, and I am guessing you and I go to the same church..nowhere can one feel as close to God and those hunters past than the woods a hunter's holy land on Earth.

·
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks everyone it makes it easy to share a story like this when you have a great bunch of guys and gals to share with

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I lost my dad on 2/8/08 to cancer. He was on his last legs for the '07 deer season but was determined not to miss it. He shot a fine 6 point at 9AM on opening day and I was never so proud to be able to drag it out for him.

He was with my stepson and I this year, I'm sure, on my stepson's first deer hunt. It was youth day in MD, on Nov. 15th and my boy shot a 124" 8 point. I don't know if I've ever been so emotional over a deer. I told my stepson I was sure Dad pushed it to him.

Dad was with me on every hunt this year...and always will be.

bownut

·
Super Moderator
1,740 Posts
I know how you feel. My dad passed away in Oct. of '07. I hunted and shot a buck with his rifle this year. When I walked up to it I looked at the buck and while holding the rifle I said to myself "Dad this ones for you".

1 - 20 of 27 Posts