The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
28,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ANF Book – A season on the Allegheny

I would like to make a recommendation on a book written by HPA’s own “grousechaser”. A GREAT winter read for anyone who enjoys the behind the scenes stories of hunting and conservation. But a FANTASTIC read for those of you with camps or who hunt, fish or vacation in or around the Allegheny National Forest in NW PA.

A short story first of how this small world gets smaller via HPA. Years ago before HPA became a priority in my life and took my available time , I was the founder and President of a Pheasants Forever Chapter here in Warren County. During that tenure I perhaps met the absolute and most dedicated people in the area for both hunting and conservation. One day I got a call from a writer down near Pittsburgh that heard about a pending pheasant project we and others were working on so he asked to come up on a Saturday in pheasant season , do a little tour and some pheasant hunting. Thrilled that we were getting some press outside of Warren County I of course said yes. Rob came up, we hunted as much as we could on a rough weather day but talked a lot while crushing brush and sipping coffee, and at day’s end we shook hands. We had a couple follow-up e-mails, then that was it.

About 2 months ago a member named “grousechaser” PMs me and asks my opinion on HPA members he could talk to concerning an article he is doing on antler restrictions…I tell him some names to talk with and he tells me his and it immediatley rings a bell. So I asked him if he is the guy I hunted birds up here years ago and sure enough he was. The e-mail I used back then has long been dead so we lost contact. A few days later I get a book in my mailbox, with an inscription of thanks by Rob. I always wondered if that day hit print and indeed it has.

I would be lying if I did not say Chapter 5 was my absolute favorite in the book
(along with the picture on page 120, LOL), but this book really hits home in all chapters with me as I have now spent more than half my life as a resident of the ANF. It also reminded me of a very passionate younger me (where the HPA ID "roosterbooster" originated by the way) and the dreams I had then and perhaps still have buried beneath a changed life and direction of today. That passion today is likely directed towards this site's membership and a particular 54 acre peice of land here whose deed bears my name, but if time was there to still do it all.....

Not to give away the plot but I am happy to mention that the project in that book has elvolved on the backs of many since the spark was struck on the minds of a few. In fact it looks better now that it likely has in its hallowed history, at least thru the eyes of a gamebird and upland hunter, so well in fact it just got a winter stocking of birds likely cause we are back to 200K released , and I believe “pheasants”,“RSB”, and others held a Veterans day pheasant hunt there this past Veterans day if I am not mistaken thru Wheelin Sportsmen. I know HPA habitat sponsor “pheasants” has planted the area with much success.

Anyway, I wish I would of thought to do this before the holidays as this book would have been a perfect under the tree gift for anyone who loves the Allegheny Valley, the forest and the whole Plateau and region that winds from NYS down thru NW PA towards the Burgh. But I want to make the recommendation NOW for winter reading. A season on the Allegheny will make you feel good about being a hunter, a conservationist or even just a lover of the Outdoors, even if Chapter 5 was omitted..LOL.

Thanks again Rob for the book, I am very happy our initial meeting has come back full circle, and that a question you asked on a HPA PM to a then stranger, crossed our paths again. As your inscription says…”See you on the forest”

BTW, a smart grouse hunter will always take a stranger to his best pheasant spots first
…so I hope we can meet up again, all be it my legs and knowledge for grouse are diminished since our first meeting..BE WELL!!

ENJOY the book folks!! YOU WILL I PROMISE..it will make you want to be at camp or in the forest like a good book will, I am not sure if it will help or add to cabin fever but I will add a 5 star rating much like those on Amazon did.

I would not plug it just to plug it...I KNOW you will enjoy it.

A season on the Allegheny - Get it here

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Is it on Oprahs' list ?? Good , then I will check it out . Thanks , John.

·
Registered
60 Posts
It's a fantastic read. It should be in every deer camp in the state.

I would also recommend "Buck Fever, The Pennsylvania Deer Hunting Tradition"

·
Registered
289 Posts
This book was under my tree. I've been going to the ANF since a teen and have dreams of living there someday. From what I've read so far it has brought back memories and reinforced my dreams of moving there some day.

·
Registered
28,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured it would make a great gift.

I do have some opinions on the changes to the ANF landscape since i got here and first laid eyes on it in 1991 (and no not the deer herd), but that likely would be a sperate discussion. I still feel very fortunate to live and have a good job here that is for sure.

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
I'll have to put it on the list to read.

I would also recommend "Buck Fever, The Pennsylvania Deer Hunting Tradition"
Great book as well! The author of that one passed away long before his time unfortunately. It seems a volume two would be appropriate to deal with all of the changes we're going through now. There are a few on here that could do it justice if they felt the urge to put it into words.

·
Registered
28,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Easiest and one of the best books to write would be a compilation from this website....members here have hit home on hunting about 10 times a day for over 10 years now.

Be a pretty big book too.

One of my least favorite chores here is purging the database of threads that are years old to keep the server clean, we really should make an archive forum that has been talked about forever for all those gems that ride thru here only to get buried by well you know....

BTW Hope you had a good Chrsitmas Eye...I miss talking to ya..heading down to Little Mo country this weekend, just for Christmas with the folks, likely a great winter weekend for fishing..certainly a pretty enough one.

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
Well I found this book on sale at the Marienville Ranger station on my way to camp Friday. I finished it Saturday night!!

Great read for anyone with a passion for the outdoors. Any of you guys near Hallton will get a kick out of Robs recollections of the Hilton I promise!! I started Chapter 5 and thought , Hey I know that guy
. Good stuff throughout the entire book for sure!!

Something else stuck with me too. I am going to make it a point to give back just a little to the communities in the ANF. Patronize the diners and family stores a bit more ( had some good prime rib at the Shaw House in Sheffield Friday) or maybe fill the gas tank up North instead of waiting till home. May not be much but hopefully it might help a little??

·
Registered
320 Posts
I just had it delivered to my Kindle, looking forward to reading it.
The ANF has been a big part of my life, my dad started taking me there in the mid 50's, I have owned a camp with property sharing a 600' boundry with the ANF for 40 years this fall.
Perhaps living 400 miles away makes me appreciate it all the more.
I still get the same feeling as I did when I was kid as I drive between Barnes and Brookston thru the hemlocks.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Thanks to everyone for your kind words about "A Season on the Allegheny," especially RB-HPA who kicked this off with his wonderful recommendation. However, I do have to say that, back when he took me hunting on the ANF, we spent half a day chasing pheasants and I think we saw one hen. So if that was his BEST pheasant spot, well...

Much appreciation also, of course, to those who have bought the book. Without you, there's not much point to the whole endeavor. I can't tell you how much it touched me to think that a copy of my book was waiting under someone's tree on Christmas morning. For that, maybe I owe Santa a thank you too.

I'm posting today to let you know that I'll be signing copies of "A Season on the Allegheny" on February 23 at the Country Squirrel Outfitter in Ridgway. We'll be there from 10-11:30 as part if the Chainsaw Carvers Rendezvous events. If you don't already have a copy of the book, we'll have a few there for sale.

Stop by if you're in the area. There's usually as much gabbing as signing at these events so if you have the Kindle version (or no book at all), feel free to drop in anyway and shoot the breeze. There's never any shortage of topics when it comes to the Allegheny National Forest.

See you on the Allegheny!

·
Registered
455 Posts
In case anyone in the Pittsburgh area is interested, we'll be at the Pittsburgh Mills Mall this weekend signing books. The times are 2-5 Saturday and 1-3 Sunday.

Stop by and visit if you have a chance.

·
Super Moderator
14,054 Posts
grousechaser said:
Thanks to everyone for your kind words about "A Season on the Allegheny," especially RB-HPA who kicked this off with his wonderful recommendation. However, I do have to say that, back when he took me hunting on the ANF, we spent half a day chasing pheasants and I think we saw one hen. So if that was his BEST pheasant spot, well...

Much appreciation also, of course, to those who have bought the book. Without you, there's not much point to the whole endeavor. I can't tell you how much it touched me to think that a copy of my book was waiting under someone's tree on Christmas morning. For that, maybe I owe Santa a thank you too.

I'm posting today to let you know that I'll be signing copies of "A Season on the Allegheny" on February 23 at the Country Squirrel Outfitter in Ridgway. We'll be there from 10-11:30 as part if the Chainsaw Carvers Rendezvous events. If you don't already have a copy of the book, we'll have a few there for sale.

Stop by if you're in the area. There's usually as much gabbing as signing at these events so if you have the Kindle version (or no book at all), feel free to drop in anyway and shoot the breeze. There's never any shortage of topics when it comes to the Allegheny National Forest.

My wife just got me the book as a birthday present and I am about half way through it. I will say it is well written and a darn good read so far.

I recognize most of the places and even a fair number of the people talked about in it. A number of the areas were within my old patrol areas so it is a wonder I never bumped into the Author on one of his hunts or forays.

But, in any event I am enjoying the book and plan on bringing my copy in to be signed while you are in Ridgway on the 23rd.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
28,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
grousechaser said:

Hey Rob thanks for the heads up, the family plans to go to the CCR in ridgeway,we will come say Hi if we hit the timing right.

LOL...In all fairness that spot was one of my best here, HOWEVER you have to get there about 11 minutes after noon on a Thursday and then only stop if yousee dually tracks at the gate...if you know what i mean. THAT is why we wanted to see it change into something that could hold birds a bit longer than that. Everyone round here knew that schedule a bit too well.

RSB hope to swing by and see you at the PF booth...we missed you guys by a day last year.

I miss the driving passion of a worthy cause, this country was a better place when I had one.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I bought the book from amazon a few days ago and im about half way through it right now. have to say this book is well written, exciting to read and easy to relate to for someone like me who has hunted ANF. im hooked on it. great job, rob... i hope to someday write about my adventures in the outdoors.

·
Registered
455 Posts
R. S. B. said:
My wife just got me the book as a birthday present and I am about half way through it. I will say it is well written and a darn good read so far.

I recognize most of the places and even a fair number of the people talked about in it. A number of the areas were within my old patrol areas so it is a wonder I never bumped into the Author on one of his hunts or forays.

But, in any event I am enjoying the book and plan on bringing my copy in to be signed while you are in Ridgway on the 23rd.

Dick Bodenhorn
Thanks for the kind words, Dick. A belated happy birthday to you and I'm very glad you're enjoying your present.

I think you and I may have met briefly years ago at one of the early elk visitation planning meetings. But either way, I know we have some common acquaintances, some of whom wear PGC green.

Hopefully we'll have a little time to discuss that in Ridgway. See you there.

·
Registered
455 Posts
RB-HPA said:
I miss the driving passion of a worthy cause, this country was a better place when I had one.
RB-HPA,
I already said as much in print so I won't hesitate to say it here: This country IS a better place BECAUSE you had a driving passion. You kindled a fire in the Brokenstraw/Allegheny Valley that will hopefully burn a long, long time.

Hope to see you in Ridgway and catch up.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Sorry for three consecutive posts, but I was too dumb to figure out how to quote from multiple previous posts. ANYway...

I get to the booth today and start setting up to sign books. Sure enough, the VERY FIRST PERSON who walks up to my table says, "I read about your book on HuntingPA.com and I wanted to get a copy."

As RB-HPA said in an earlier post, it's a small world and HPA makes it a little bit smaller. Thanks once again to all.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just finished this book last night. Even made the old lady wait until I was done before we went grocery shopping! I've never been to the Allegheny, as Ive always spent my hunting trips going to north-central PA, but after reading this I'm sure ill be making at least a trip or two this year, even if it is just for a drive. Thanks for a great written book. It was wonderful to have a "regular Joe" kind of hunter to write something like this. It hits a lot closer to home for a lot of us. A lot of great history and information mixed in as well! Thank you! I'll be sure to pass this one on.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Just accepted another invitation for a book signing so I thought I'd pass it along. We'll be signing at the Jefferson County History Center in Brookville on March 2, starting at noon. It's their Spring Grand Opening so I guess they have a bunch of fun activities planned.

If you want to get a book signed and can't make it to Country Squirrel Outfitters in Ridgway this Saturday then maybe we can catch up in Brookville next weekend. Stop by and we'll chat a little about the ANF.

Many thanks again to everyone for their recommendations.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts