The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A plan was hatched for a full day in the woods chasing grouse, but the honey do Christmas list came due, and a full day turned into a half day. Made it thru list in record time and rushed out the door to rendezvous with Angus and Willie at un-disclosed location.

After some introductory butt sniffing it was off to the races.

Willie was impressive to watch on his casts (at break neck speed), a glimpse of white setter fur charging thru cover.

Some random shots of the day

We hunted to just about dark and I believe 3 or 4 grouse were put up, without a shot fired. They were spooky as [censored] and not holding long at all.

It was nice to put a face with a username. We even met up with Bwire and his two pups.

Hope to do this again soon.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Nice pictures. It looks like you enjoyed your day. It's amazing how fast a man can get things done when properly motivated.

You had better luck than me in the woods. I had one productive point on the day. It produced two deer.

The only game bird I saw was a rooster pheasant while driving to the woods.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
At least you got my good side...

It was a great day and wonderful to meet Lost and Willow. The two dogs worked very well together. Two different hunting styles, but perfect as a brace.

I am looking forward to a day trip up north with Lost and Willow. If I could guarantee the wife not leaving me, I would be in touch with Willows breeder to get a pup like her. She is a sweetheart and just what I'm looking for to brace with willie. Not too bad to look at either.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
bwire said:
Nice pictures. It looks like you enjoyed your day. It's amazing how fast a man can get things done when properly motivated.

You had better luck than me in the woods. I had one productive point on the day. It produced two deer.

The only game bird I saw was a rooster pheasant while driving to the woods.
Hopefully with the good habitat in the area we can get a nice breeding population established. I can't figure out why there isn;t more grouse in the area.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Here are a couple of pictures of the area I was at on Saturday. Angus, I thought you might like to see what some of it looks like.
The first area I worked on Saturday:

The point that produced two deer:

A different area I worked on Saturday:

This area was timbered about 11 or 12 years ago. I walked through the middle of this for the entire lenght of the cut without finding a bird.

The last area I worked before meeting up with Angus and LostintheUplands:

It was a long day and I was very tired. I have tried these areas the past several years thinking some birds might be around but I have never found anything. I think if I want to get into grouse I'll head much further north next time.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Nice pics. The one area looks like it would be awesome in 5-10 years.

The birds used to be there. 15-20 years ago my old man and I would kick them up. I'm not sure where they have gone, but there is habitat there for them to make a come back imo. Hopefully teh RGS can figure out what is going on.

I'm not sure if Eric Miller has any insight on the area, but he may know someone who does.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice pics bwire, thanks for sharing.
There's alot of nice looking cover up there, we'll just have to keep laying down the boot leather.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Good looking cover! The political landscape of treehuggers that stopped cutting for 18 years is what I think devastated the grouse population. I really hope there is enough brood stock to make a good comeback.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts