The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning my father lost his battle with lung cancer. Not only was he my Dad but as I got older he became my best friend. We could talk about anything. We could also disagree on things as well. He was a good man not only taught my brother and I how to hunt and fish but also friends of ours as well. Kamp Killian was his pride and joy whether it was going up in the middle of the week with Mom and relaxing or going up by himself and getting some work done. The first day of Trout and the First day of Buck season brought him great joy and he looked froward the annual visits from freinds and neghbors. He welcome everyone the same whether he knew you for 20 years or just met you. I thought I could get him up there one last time but he health dint allow that. I can gaurentee one thing and that is that Kamp Killian will go on in his honor, because I know thats how he would want it. I Love you Dad and I am going to miss you

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Im so sorry for your loss!! You and the rest of your dads family are in my thoughts and prayers.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Sorry to learn about his passing. Rest assured he'll want you to remember the good times and smile when doing so--especially at camp.

Mark

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Pappy, I am so sorry to hear about this. You hang in there...
Hate to hear that stuff because it reminds me always of what "our" cluster of camps used to be when I was a kid growing up. There was always someone around, putsying around, spending a week in the summer, and the opening days of trout, fall turkey and deer seasons-you would wonder where they all came from.
Camp Clarion, Flicker's Nest, Gunsmoke, Camp Ten Point, Camp Six Point, The Pittsburgh Camp, Jack's Shack, Bigfoot Camp, Cherrie's Camp and other's. There are faces to all of them that I remember. Then around the mid to late 80's the old timers started dying off and the use of the camps has steadily eroded to what it is now. But Kamp Killian has remained one that is frequently used and well taken care of - I am sure mostly due to your father.
Now when I go to camp, there is hardly ever anyone around, except Kamp Killian. It saddens me everytime we lose an elderly outdoorsperson. You lose the person, their stories, their perpsective of things past and their companionship. It stinks.
But I am certain that as your turn to carry the torch comes about that you will keep Kamp Killian going strong to the pride of your father. Just knowing that you will never, ever be at camp again without him at least being there with you in spirit hopefully makes this a bit easier. You've probably got some tough visits to camp coming up. Take someone with you and hang in there.

My deepest condolenses for your loss. When it came to Kamp Killian, your father was a class act and it showed.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone. Please keep my family in your prayers especially my Mother. Even in his declining health he still wanted his DMAP tag for this year, so its going with him along with his Hunting and Fishing License. This is truly a great site where guys and girls genuelly care for one another. In this very difficult time of my life it does bring a little comfort. Thanks again

1 - 20 of 48 Posts