The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, the time I have to go trout fishing has been greatly limited this season. Secondly, I really like taking pictures while fishing, but for some reason this year I am feeling uninspired with the camera. A few days, I didn't even take it along. Maybe I need to explore new water to get the photo bug back. But mostly I think it's my mind set. Work is stressful, our dog had to be put down, interviewing for a new job, blah blah blah....all that stupid life stuff that I try to escape on the water, seems harder to shake this year while fishing...anyway...

The one bright spot though this year has been getting out with a good friend a few times and getting him hooked, at least a little bit, on fly fishing. We were out a few days ago and the fishing was great, but the catching should have been much better. We struggled to say the least.

The sunrise was nice though:

sunrise 1 (1 of 1) by Jason Weller, on Flickr

sunrise 2 (1 of 1) by Jason Weller, on Flickr

My buddy got a decent one a few minutes in:

release (1 of 1) by Jason Weller, on Flickr

But they were few and far in between with the spinning rod:

release 4 (1 of 1) by Jason Weller, on Flickr

release 2 (1 of 1) by Jason Weller, on Flickr

release 3 (1 of 1) by Jason Weller, on Flickr

We switched gear at about 3:

rod (1 of 1) by Jason Weller, on Flickr

stonefly 2 (1 of 1) by Jason Weller, on Flickr

Fish were feeding pretty well, but they were chasing emergers and were very difficult to fool. I think the recent Green Drake hatch had them extra skittish around the flies.

But we got some good hours in practicing our casting:

casting (1 of 1) by Jason Weller, on Flickr

casting 2 (1 of 1) by Jason Weller, on Flickr

And we had a friend:

snake (1 of 1) by Jason Weller, on Flickr

All in all I fooled a few on the fly rod, but I think every fish I got on the fly rod was on a different fly. I can't even remember how many we caught, but I know it should have been way more. I let him down not being able to figure out what the fish were feeding on or how to make the right presentation....maybe next time...

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts

1 - 6 of 6 Posts