The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
21,784 Posts
A couple years ago, I bought my son a Savage Axis in 6.5 Creedmoor that was MOA right out of the box.

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
I sold it but I had a marlin xl model I think that’s the model 30/06 it was stupid cheap but would shoot a clover leaf at 100 yards with hornady ammo. I should see about buying it back.

I have the same exact gun. I love it. Too bad Remington discontinued it when they bought Marlin. Hopefully the new owner will bring them back.
A friend has one in 30/06 and his is very accurate.

Reactions: Mussgrass

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
One gun I sold that haunts me was a Remington 788 in .223. It was the tightest shooting most consistent rifle I have ever owned.

·
Super Moderator
29,501 Posts
I sold it but I had a marlin xl model I think that’s the model 30/06 it was stupid cheap but would shoot a clover leaf at 100 yards with hornady ammo.
I have the Marlin XS in 7mm-08. It too is dead nuts accurate, and that's with a cheap scope on top.

·
Registered
828 Posts
i had a older savage 340 in 30-30 that i had a 6x weaver scope on it and i shot black birds at about 100 yards and missed very few. i was impressed with it.
When my oldest son first started deer hunting I bought him a used Savage 340 in 30-30. For an inexpensive rifle it sure shots fine.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
They all shoot where I aim them. A .219 Donaldson Wasp with a Jap military action being at the top for accuracy out to 300 with no or low wind.

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
2 Posts
have you ever bought a rifle that shot lights out from the start? i have been blessed and cursed with a few rifles that did and some that no matter what i did were just plain out lemons from the start. i loved working with them to get the best preformance, but in the end i just passed them on to others at a reduced price and by the way looks didn,t play any part in them shooting well. i don,t require .25" ten shot groups, but do require 1.5" groups or better for my hunting rifles with good safe triggers.
Depends on your definition of "lights out". Every factory rifle I have purchased has done at least good enough to do an inch at 100 yards. For my purposes, long-range varmint hunting, that's borderline at best. Tuning the ammunition has given me the best "bang for the buck". That and trying to make sure that the "nut behind the scope" is not contributing to the inaccuracy.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
i know lights out will have a different meaning to other shooters, my lights out is a rifle that will deliver 1-1.5" or better groups right out of the box with no fiddleing and will do it year after year with no work needing to be done.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
My Remington 7600 in .270 was a shooter right out of box even with not the best of optics on it. I had a Tasco World Class 3-9x40 on it, and shot very well with it. I'm replacing it with a Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40, which should arrive in a week or so. I'll be anxious to get it sighted in. I'm becoming a fan of Vortex optics.
I mounted the new scope today and got it sighted in. My last 4 shots at 100 yards were about a 1 inch group. And honestly, I didn't feel all that steady, so the rifle was better than my own limitations.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
My Dad bought me my first rifle, a used one, in 1966. A 30.06 Remington 700 ADL (Right handed.) Years later, I bought another perfect gun, a Left handed, 30.06 Remington BDL. because I was left eye dominant so I learned to shoot left handed. Both guns were perfect with that 150 gr. core-lokt. Never had one get away.

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
56 Posts
My first center fire was a left handed Remington 700 BDL in 308 Winchester. I was not the first owner. I doubt I was the second or even the third. The stock was dinged, there was “patina” on the metalwork. It was cheap too, £295 with a no-name 4-10x50 scope.

I had very little money, so I bought the cheapest bullets I could get, 150 grain Hornady interlocks, and loaded them with a Lee Classic loader.

After a little practice, from 100 yards that dinged up rifle would reliably shoot sub moa.

There is a voluntary qualification for hunting deer in the UK called the Deer Stalking Certificate. It includes a shooting test the is six shots in three strings of 2 shots starting 100 yards from the target and adopting a different position for each string. I am a very average shot, but on test day all six holes in the target were touching.

I sold that rifle during the process of emigrating to the USA, and I now regret that!

·
Registered
15 Posts
have you ever bought a rifle that shot lights out from the start? i have been blessed and cursed with a few rifles that did and some that no matter what i did were just plain out lemons from the start. i loved working with them to get the best preformance, but in the end i just passed them on to others at a reduced price and by the way looks didn,t play any part in them shooting well. i don,t require .25" ten shot groups, but do require 1.5" groups or better for my hunting rifles with good safe triggers.
Bought a Traditions 50cal PA Pellet, out of the box started at 25yrds bull, 50yrds bull we thought lucky 2nd shot bull, buddy suggested going to 100yrds yup bullseye 2 in a row, 15 yrs later and never touched the sights shoot a couple times at 50yrds every year just to be sure and dead on..

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
I bot a used banged up Pre64 model 70 feather weight in 30-06 at a gun store one time and no matter which factory ammo I tried it would group around an inch 180's 150's didn't matter it would group. Wanted a 270 so sold it and still regret it to this day.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Few good ones come to mind, and one lemon ...

TC Venture ... two of them actually. My 22-250 & my son's 7mm-08 both shot great right out of the box with just about any hand load I put through them and weren't bad with factory stuff either. I also have one in 30-06 that I'm struggling with a bit - its not bad and I'm not ready to call it a lemon, but its been more of a marathon than it was for the other two for sure.

My son's new M70 Super Grade in 264 WM is a real shooter as well

The lemon is a Remington 700 BDL in 270 ... 1-1/2 or 2" 100 groups with that is about as good as I've gotten it. I really need to replace the trigger and see if that helps.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts