The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
here,s one rifle that surprized me, a older ruger #3 in 45-70 that has been a moa rifle from day one. the load has been 50 grs H-4198 with a 300 gr hornady bullet for 1900+ fps, i have killed quite a few deer with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
384 Posts
Only rifle I ever owned that wouldn’t shoot 1.5” groups or better, was a Remington 7400 in 280 REM. Tried everything and eventually sold it to a cousin that put a 3006 barrel on it.

·
Registered
25,785 Posts
My first bolt action deer rifle, was a used M700 ADL in 25-06. Bought in the late 70s for $125. Later sold it to a friend's teenage son, finally got it back again some years later. It ain't ever leaving again. Reworked the trigger, floated the barrel when I bought it and it's still a tack driver w/100gr Btips. Shot 100gr Sierras in it for several years, before Btips came out.

Vast majority of the near 100 firearms I've had over the past 58 years, were bought used. Never had a bad one yet. Although that "stash" has been severely thinned in the past few years.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I know a guy who buys every Stevens M200 short action rifle that he can find. I have seen the groups he has shot from his M200 in 7MM-08 at 100 yards....some day I will buy one in that caliber

·
Registered
755 Posts
An old Savage Model 840 bolt action chambered in 30-30 with a 3x9. With factory 150 grain factory ammo, its capable of clover leafs at 100 yards from a rifle rest.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I bought a Browning Stainless Stalker .300 Win Mag w/ the B.O.S.S. system and it has been a warrior for 20 years now. Very accurate and reliable. I believe it was the first year that the synthetic stock had the palm swell.

·
Registered
10,684 Posts
The only rifle I had a problem with my 30 -30 when I first bought it. Dad put the scope on himself and couldn`t get it sighted in. He kept adjusting it. . He checked the scope again and found he didn`t have it on right . The back of scope mount wasn`t in the base correctly. He fixed it and had to readjust the adjustments and start over . Got it sighted in and it shoots well now , no problems.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I sold it but I had a marlin xl model I think that’s the model 30/06 it was stupid cheap but would shoot a clover leaf at 100 yards with hornady ammo. I should see about buying it back.

·
Registered
903 Posts
My Dad bought me my 1st deer rifle in 1976. Remington 788 243 ( The work horse). Had a Tasco 3-9x32 scope which Dad named the scope the super sniper scope. That rifle was proven as a tack driver out of the box. As years went by I sold it. I still get a belly ache thinking about it. Fast forward. Had other rifles they didn't shoot like the work horse. I was happy what I had.
1993 bought a weatherby vanguard vgx 243 caliber. She reminds me my 1st rifle the 788. I was thrilled shooting this rifle. Looking at her in the safe, rifle in my hands, sure gives me goose bumps and the smiles I get on my face. I retired her 10 years ago or so. I was concern she be shot out, she only has a couple minor dings on the stock She seen alot of range time and out in the fields hunting groundhogs in centre county, potter county, Tioga county. Just like the 788 the groundhogs thought they were safe peaking out of there hole before they crawl out. It doesn't matter if you send a 55 grain,70 grain, 87 grain, 90 grain, 95 grain, 100 grain bullet down the barrel.
The other rifles out of the box well had some homework to do for sure. I like simple, no $ going into it out of the box.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
I can honestly only had 2 guns that shot great right from the get go...
1st was a Remington 300 SAUM
2nd was my Encore 50 cal muzzle loader.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
My Ruger M77 Hawkeye .270 with Nikon Buckmasters scope has been outstandingly accurate from day 1.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Savage 14 250 Savage and Browning Abolt 222 both were unreal accurate right out of the box.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My tack driver was my first rifle my parents bought me back in the mid seventies. An Ithaca model 94 .22 LR (made in West Germany) with a Tasco 4 power scope that was added later. It still drives tacks out to about 50 yards to this day. I have only had to adjust the scope a few times over the years. It's killed a lot of squirrels and ground hogs over the years.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I sold it but I had a marlin xl model I think that’s the model 30/06 it was stupid cheap but would shoot a clover leaf at 100 yards with hornady ammo. I should see about buying it back.
I have the same exact gun. I love it. Too bad Remington discontinued it when they bought Marlin. Hopefully the new owner will bring them back.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts