The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have you ever bought a rifle that shot lights out from the start? i have been blessed and cursed with a few rifles that did and some that no matter what i did were just plain out lemons from the start. i loved working with them to get the best preformance, but in the end i just passed them on to others at a reduced price and by the way looks didn,t play any part in them shooting well. i don,t require .25" ten shot groups, but do require 1.5" groups or better for my hunting rifles with good safe triggers.

·
Super Moderator
29,451 Posts
Saw the subject and thought this was going to be about Red Ryders. :LOL:

All the rifles I have do their part, when I do mine. But the one that I never had to work hard with, regardless of bullet or load, factory or reloads, is my Remington 700 ADL in 30-06. That gun has always been my tack driver.
I got it new in '83 and it shoots as well today as it did then. I didn't take it to Germany either time so I haven't hunted with it in many years, but I usually shot it anytime I was home for a visit. A couple of weeks ago I shot up all the ammo I had for it, now I can't find any.....

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
I've had 3 "lemons" in total, out of more firearms than I can care to count.
First was a G23, which was my 5th handgun, my 3rd Glock. That thing wouldn't shoot straight with any load, put up patterns not groups. Traded in for another 1911.
Second was a DicksSportingGoods Marlin 336 30-30 I got during a sale waaaay back. I think Marlin forgot to check the wear on their rifling machines, or buggered the throat, because it wouldn't group tighter than 4" at 50 yards. Marlin made good on it though, swapped it out, and even comped me a little for the wasted ammo... been good to go ever since.
Third was a Traditions Pursuit Ambush that was definitely a hangover rifle. Holes for the scope mounts were far misaligned, and there was a sizeable burr at the crown. They smoothed the burr, but wouldn't acknowledge the visibly defective mount holes and wouldn't swap barrels after repeated trips back and forth. Parted with at a loss and will never go back to that brand. If I ever win one in a club raffle, I'll take the cash option. Junk guns and non-existent C/S.

My remingtons, rugers, and savages have all been fantastic out of the box. Heck, so have my Kimber 1911's... maybe I'm just lucky?

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Saw the subject and thought this was going to be about Red Ryders. :LOL:

All the rifles I have do their part, when I do mine. But the one that I never had to work hard with, regardless of bullet or load, factory or reloads, is my Remington 700 ADL in 30-06. That gun has always been my tack driver.
mine too. if i get the deer in the scope, its lights out, especially with remington 150 grain core-lokts, standing or moving the deer always go home with me. (if i do my part)

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
I have never "bought" a rifle that shot MOA out of the box. But my wife bought me a WinMdl70XTR .308 that shot less than MOA and my son bought me a Weatherby 7mm which also shot less than MOA out of the box. I never felt the need to work up a load for either rifle as I was more than satisfied with the factory loads. I still have both rifles and when the time comes my son will have them.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I really can’t think of anything thing I have had that didn’t shoot good to excellent. My Tikka rifles all are great. Funny, my Marlins are the best.

·
Super Moderator
13,622 Posts
Never had much trouble getting any of my rifles into 1.25 groups... However, my .270 Ruger M77 from the early 70's comes to mind which out of the box and a few scope adjustments it consistency provided tight groups with 130 gr. Winchester factory groups and still does after an unknown amount of rounds.

·
Super Moderator
29,451 Posts
I had a Ruger 77 in 220 swift that was a bug hole shooter. Sold it because....I'm stoopid.....🤦‍♂️
In 38 years of owning my own guns, I have never sold any of mine. Not because I'm not stoopid, my wife would gladly tell you that I am, but because the thought of selling any of them never crossed my mind.

I have a Taurus .40S&W that, although it is my carry gun in t-shirt weather, from 15 yds I'm lucky to find 3 holes in the target out of 11 rounds. With my Rugers, P89 and Blackhawk, I can bore out the 10 ring, but that Taurus......
Still won't sell it though.

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
353 Posts
my weatherby vanguard in 300 win mag shot lights out right out of the box. same with the vanguard in 6.5 creedmoor. recently got a vanguard accuguard in 6.5x300 weatherby. hoping for the same results. still need to scope it.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
My first rifle .243 700 adl. My Dad bought me when I was 11. That thing will always print a nice clover leaf!!!
My latest favorite is a tikka t3 stainless.260. It does the same!
I bought a Browning abolt.300 wsm that I couldn’t get to shoot. Sent it to Browning and they sent it back and it still shot the same. I sent it back again and told them I wasn’t interested in getting that gun back again. They sent me another .300 wsm and it is a shooter!
Also had a Browning abolt medallion.280 that was probably the tightest shooting gun I have owned!

·
Super Moderator
13,622 Posts
Bought my first gun in the mid 1950's and only sold three in that time. All three times it was to upgrade for another gun. Two of them were to buy the .270 Ruger M77 mentioned above. A good move. However the other was a Weatherby 12 ga. I won at a gun bash......I sold to get a backup 20. ga turkey gun. Sorry I did that.....Really don't need a back up turkey gun and it would have been well suited for coyote hunting......Live and learn....

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
My Remington 7600 in .270 was a shooter right out of box even with not the best of optics on it. I had a Tasco World Class 3-9x40 on it, and shot very well with it. I'm replacing it with a Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40, which should arrive in a week or so. I'll be anxious to get it sighted in. I'm becoming a fan of Vortex optics.

·
Super Moderator
29,451 Posts
More than 38 years of owning rifles-shotguns-handguns and never sold any but have given away many.
I've given my oldest son a shotgun, but that was bought for him when he turned 12.
The rest will be distributed to him and my other kids when my time comes.

If/when I go back to Deutschland, I plan to invest in a Drilling of some sort. The kids might have to fight the wife for that one. 😁

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
I had a Ruger 77 in 220 swift that was a bug hole shooter. Sold it because....I'm stoopid.....🤦‍♂️
Had a 700 Remington heavy barrel that did the same thing, and I did the same thing for the same reason.🤣

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
A Savage 243 youth model that was undisputable out of the box, to this day it is still the most accurate. A close second was a 94AE 30-30 Winchester bought new, topped with a Bushnell Sport view (terrible scope) and it still is accurate as the day I bought it. Worst is a Winchester 270 my dad got, it was not the rifle, it was the scope, from day one many tries and many hands, we could not get that rifle on. Changed the scope, 5 shots latter it was a tack driver.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts