The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past weekend the wife and I had the pleasure of taking along for the first time my cousin and her family. She,her husband and three children (ages7,4,3) were not real sure of the whole camping thing.Upon arriving Friday evening they were instantly in love with the place. I know there are times I loose sight of the simple things in life. When I took them to Farnsworth to show them the trout my vision was fully restored. My children are now 26 and 23 so it has been awhile since I had the chance. But after looking through the eyes of a child as they were looking at the fish at the hatchery ,standing below Kinzua's outflow,seeing a doe and her fawns,a woodcock in the road, or a porcupine the amazment in thoses eyes opened mine again. If you ever feel like you are loosing touch with the simple things take my advise. Take a step back, a deep breath and look at the outdoor world through the eyes of a child. I just cannot keep from smiling today and I think it is going to last for a long time

·
Registered
28,480 Posts
Great stuff Dave....you should of brought them down to "the Eddy" for a look at real life hillbillies...

But seriously, what a great thing to hear. You know sometimes I think my kids started from the exact reverse of those kids but may be heading towards the same center. I mean they live here, they never lived elsewhere, the natural world of Warren County is their every single day...thow can they appreciate that worth? My wife does though and she grew up here...

Maybe they will take this for granted??
Maybe they will tire of it???
Maybe the lights of the city become attractive?

A shot into my mind on these things.

I was born in the 'Burgh, spent my childhood there, weekends were at camp though and I grew such a love for the Outdoors because of that, waiting on Friday, I sometimes worry my kids won't have that same depth eventhough they seem to love to do stuff out there with me. but everyday is Friday here as far as getting another day here.

Anyway...I often think about linking up with one of those programs that bring urban youth out to experience the outdoors, how fulfilling that would be, and perhaps I would not lay this stuff on so thick at home. Heck i bet my kids would love to help me host some, and maybe they could gain more apprecitation then meeting kids that got it a bit different.

Great Post Dave!!

·
Registered
246 Posts
I took a family friends 5 and 9 year old fishing on saturday.....was the best time I have had in a long time..

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Even the rain Saturday could not dampen my spirits as hard as it tried.My daughter is getting married in October so hopefully Ole Dave will get a lot of eye openers from grandkids in the future.

·
Super Moderator
28,097 Posts
Take atepback, a deep breath and look at the world through the eyes of a child.
Great story, Dave!

And some great advice in that quote!!!
Even the simple things that we take for granted from dealing with daily, the kids are just learning. And when you look at something through their eyes and explain it to them, it's sometimes like learning it yourself all over again. Great stuff indeed

·
Registered
681 Posts
When you get down to the nitty grittty of life there really isn't anything much better than taking kids outdoors and showing them what they do not see everyday. And, it is not only the children [although probably the most fun] but also adults that have spent most of their life in cities or towns. The outdoors is a great world and when we do things such as this it gains us support and understanding on outdoor programs we need to maintain these great outdoors.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Great story!!
Back in the early '80's my dad was doing some contruction on the buildings at the dam and pump station at the top of the hill. For a week I went to work with him, he would drop me off up on the mountain and pick me up at a specific location. For 8 hours a day I walked around up there. The experience of being in the woods like that at 11 years old is something that has made me look at the outdoors in a way that I wish every child could see.
Just to note that this was something that my dad and I now say was crazy to do. But at the time I begged him to take and drop me off up there and I did have a compass and two-way radio in case something happened. Do not bash my father for doing something irresponsible to an 11 year old. For my time in the woods back then is what has made me who I am today.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts