The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a fan of catch and release but I also want to get fish mounted. The one bass that I have mounted, I took the entire fish in to the taxidermist.

However, If catch a nice wild trout this year, I'd want it to release it, but also get a replica mount if I really like it.

What are all of the proper measurements that I would need to have a good mount? Do they look as good as mounts of the real fish?

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Length and girth is what you need. You have to remember though without casting the actual fish it won't be exactly the same. I feel they look better than skin mounts. Here is a largemouth reproduction that i did.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Take measurements of greatest girth, crotch of tail to tip of mouth, and corner of eye to tip of nose. Also take pics right after catch, taxidermist would like to see color differential and to see if it was male of female. Hope this helps, randy kuntz

·
Registered
318 Posts
Just like the other fellas said replicas are a great choice and can look as lifelike as any skin mount. The trick is to find a taxidermist that does work you like and will be pleased with. As mentioned you may have a tough time finding a replica in the sizes most native fish are caught. I hope you have a great season and are able to get the replica trout. I attached a pic of a replica steelhead for you to view.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much for the pictures and advice guys. Hoping to get a nice one this year!

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
mikethehelopilot said:
Any suggestions where to get a walleye, musky and steelhead done?
Garbru is (in my opinion) the best in the biz! Doesn't matter what species!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts