The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, finally my buddy caught up to one we've got a history with, and been after for two years. No trail cam pics of him this summer and we wondered what may have happened to him. At 8:30 I heard the boom and got a text "It's him." I about ran out of the stand. So happy for him.

His 2013 shed. Can't be 100% positive here but it's very unique and was within 300 yards of cam pic and where he was shot. Base is over 5 inches.

2014 cam pic

2014 sheds

2015 buck

I would guess the deer was 100-110 pounds. It certainly challenges the idea of older bucks and their sagging stomachs. Nice easy drag. I am amazed the hunters that this buck has eluded over the years.

btw - since I got crap from the tagging police for last year's tagging job via PMs, WCO was there for this one.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Congrats to you friend! I have really seen a significant amount of mature deer harvested this year.

Blood Trail 13 said:
Is this a mountain deer? They lose a lot of weight in the rut.
Agreed. Lord only knows the amount of miles that old boy put on during the rut. I would be curious to see his teeth.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Congratulations on this mature buck. Nice!

·
Registered
18,926 Posts
Awesome. The history makes it even better!

·
Premium Member
24,100 Posts
Congrats

·
Banned
813 Posts
Awesome buck, story and thread! Congrads to your buddy. But the shed is from a different buck. Beautiful buck regardless!!

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll have to compare the teeth to others from the area. I have some less and more worn.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
100'lbs? Nice mass on that deer. 100 lbs is really light, even for a doe. Did you weigh it or just guessing? Anyways, congrats on a nice looking deer.

Teeth are saying 2.5 to 3.5 according to my teeth aging tool. Works pretty well, but only a "send it off to be microscoped" is 100%.

Check the tool here:
http://www.basspro.com/Deer-Aging-Reference-Tool/product/65138/

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Great buck!! Congrats!

With the visible wear in that pic, IMO there is nearly zero percent chance that he was younger than 4 years old. Lots of dentin showing, substantial wear on the crests (especially on the 4th), major wear on the last cusp. Based on that wear, I would be expecting 5.5 or older, if I sent a tooth off to the lab from one like that.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts