The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm no Turkey hunter, but my boy is gung-ho for some reason. LOL. He is using a box call, but wants to start practicing with a mouth call to free up his hands.

- Where do I buy a mouth call ?
- What "type" is best to start a lad out with ?

Thx in advance.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Any sporting goods store and there is a very large selection of them, single diaphragm, double diaphragm etc.

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
I'm no Turkey hunter, but my boy is gung-ho for some reason. LOL. He is using a box call, but wants to start practicing with a mouth call to free up his hands.

- Where do I buy a mouth call ?
- What "type" is best to start a lad out with ?

Thx in advance.

A plain (no cuts in top reed) double reed call is the easiest.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Most work OK. Walmart or any sporting goods store. Tip is to put a small hole in corner of the call and attach a strong piece of string. If he swallows it you or he can pull in out. No kidding.
Glass calls are nice.

·
Banned
1,186 Posts
Walmart has them cheap. Get a Primos A frame double. Easy to use , a little smaller frame then most. Ive killed lots of birds with that call. 3$ and change at Walmart!

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
All diaphragm calls differ slightly in size as well and some may need to be trimmed to fit the shape of the roof of his mouth to get a good seal.

Literally any well known brand makes decent mouth calls that will generate solid yelps. As with anything, the more expensive generally means better constructed with better materials such as the latex.

Primos, HS, Flextone, MAD, Woodhaven, Mountain Hollow, etc are all good choices.

Just remember, the more reeds it has, the more air you have to move past them to get good sound. Most triple reed calls with wicked cuts on them are made for loud cutting and cackling.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Too many calls these days have more cuts than Carters has pills. Now...someone really proficient on using a call can call well with them, but not the average "good" caller. They've got bat wings, super bat wings+, this and that multiple cuts. --. Most guys will sound more like a squirrel than a hen. Personally, I like a double with the slits on both sides and a cutter call. The best I've personally found are made by Zink. The Z cutter and Z yelper. The other thing about the Zink calls is their tape. When moistened with your saliva it softens more than any of the other tapes I've used, thus you don't have to trim it for a perfect non-leak fit. I use the Z cutter exclusively in the spring, the Z yelper exclusively in the fall for kee kees and kee kee runs. For me, the call's NG unless I can call softly with it. A lot of them sound great but it takes an air compressor to run them.

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
I shot you a PM on another board.Get the lad a DVD called hunting pressured gobblers by Denny Gulvas and his master's choice call.The DVD is primarily instructional.Put the young man in a sound insulated room and have him watch the DVD over and over again while mimicking Denny's calls.You'll probably have to trim a little on the edge of the call to get it to fit right but that's a very easy call to learn on that doesn't require much air pressure.Do exactly as Denny says and the boy will be well on his way to being a slayer of turkeys.

·
Registered
317 Posts
There is a website called Calling All Turkeys. Run by a champion caller by the name of Shane Simpson. You will find a tutorial on there about how to pick the right call to fit your mouth. It involves buying a 4 pack of calls, but in the end you will eliminate buying calls that might not be right for you. I wish I’d have known about this a long time ago instead of trial and error.

·
Super Moderator
7,983 Posts
I’m certain you could amazon a diaphragm call and have it at your door in a day or two, as well.

Personally, I find them the easiest call to use.

I’ve never been what one would consider “normal” though. Lol

·
Super Moderator
7,983 Posts
I’m certain you could amazon a diaphragm call and have it at your door in a day or two, as well.

Personally, I find them the easiest call to use.

I’ve never been what one would consider “normal” though. Lol

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
The Primos Sonic Dome single or double reed is a good starter. The plastic dome over the reed helps with call placement in the mouth and eliminating fear of swallowing. Good sound, easy to use, usually available at most box and sporting goods stores. Zink calls are good as well and usually easy to find.

·
Super Moderator
13,430 Posts
I started with Penns Woods calls in the seventies and currently use Quaker Boy double reed. They are easy to used and produce results. I have a few that are 10+ years old and they still work fine.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Someone on here in another thread said it perfectly when they stated that mouth calls are so personal that it’s very difficult to recommend a specific one. Your best bet is to buy and try a few with different reed styles and reed gaps, and see what basic shape works best.

If I was forced to make a recommendation, then the Primos “Sharp Hooks” and “2-inch Hooks” combo pack offers two great calls that are pretty easy to use and have proven very effective in the field.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I have some that are over 10 years old as well. After the season I wash them and after they are dry I put them in their container and put them in the fridge.

·
Registered
16,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tip is to put a small hole in corner of the call and attach a strong piece of string. If he swallows it you or he can pull in out. No kidding

WHATTTTTTTTT ? Holy Smokes ! I didn't think about that. Is that common to happen ?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I would just let it pass to see if it clucks when it comes out the other end. >:)

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
I think Primos has a 3 call pack in a case. Yep, a 3 pack with a cd. That way he can see what he can make work. I like to carry a quaker boy easy yelper also.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts