The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have to keep up with changing times and the effect of crossbows, good and bad, on the archery market.
Archery is a niche sport, just as muzzleloading is.

Muzzleloading got changed by inlines; archery will get more changed by crossbows and already has. PA has Xbows in archery season, so change has already come. Others will have to stay up with the changes, even if they don't use a crossbow.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Sometimes, age and physical problems, will force one to switch to a crossbow, and be glad it's another means to be able to hunt in archery season.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Not too sure I understand the point of this thread. Compound bows are significantly improved over lomgbows, any modern rifle is significantly improved over wheellocks, cell phones are improved over the pony express, medical technology is improved over rubbing linseed oil on everything. What's the point? What, today, isn't developing?

·
Registered
18,619 Posts
Every one of us here is guilty of using equipment amd/or tactics to make our hunt easier. If a compound Mathews lights your fire with all of it's gadgets, go for it. If someone like the longbow, wooden arrows and still hunting, by all means have at it. For those that want to carry a crossbow in the fall woods, happy for them as well.

The same exists with firearms and muzzleloaders. One can use a open sighted 32/20 or a scoped Lazzeroni.

Season are broken down for different tools of the trade. Crossbows are where they should be. Success rates, participation rates and the fact that the arrow is propelled by stored energy in drawn limbs has set a course for their continued growth.

·
Super Moderator
1,739 Posts
I hunt with a bow. I am not bothered by what type of equipment a person chooses to hunt with. I can also see someday I will use a crossbow because of age or my ability to draw a bow. And also there is a part of me that is always willing to try something new.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's the entire point of checking an item in a niche market, even if you never use it.
Like how fast a current crossbow is; what advances have been made in bolts; the price of current crossbows and bolts. Not usually checked by me. Learned a lot in a short study, even if I'm not currently in the market.
The point is there are only so many makers of archery equipment, and the choices might not all rest with you.

Best of luck to PA crossbow hunters this season. Besides, I'm a non-resident who makes no rules. And I'm getting so old, I might just retire from archery when I hang up my last compound bow. We all are different.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts