The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to repaint my old semi-v. Iwould like to under coat the bottom. Any suggestions? I would also appreciate any paint suggestions. Thanks

·
Registered
19,783 Posts
Just use anti-fouling bottom paint, easy and your doing the work anyhow

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aluminum from 1957, none the less Scottm2012, Birch, I was thinking giving it a undercoat to help protect the aluminum when coming up on gravel. Sorta like bed liner but without the texture to keep it smooth and still plane well. This boat is reg. to hold a 35 h.p. but will never probably see anything above a 9.9. It is old and heavy but does tread the water nicely. 1957 Feathercraft converted.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have a 1959 Wagemaker Wolverine (Aluminum edition). Aluminum is a tough metal to paint and maintain. Layers will help but beaching a "paint job" will always scratch or damage the paint. The best thing to do is create a paint job that is easy to touch up. The base coat on aluminum should be a self-etching primer, this creates a base for the top layers of paint to adhere to. Rustoleum makes a good self etching primer. The top coats (at least 5)can be as simple as spray from the can, a professional job, or something in between like Majic Town and Country Implement paint from Tractor Supply (yes, its roll-on).

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Undercoat will put more drag on the boat because it isn't smooth, and I will slow your boat. How much I can't say.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes john I know, I was going to paint over the undercoat. Just wanted to add a little protection to the bottom before giving an overcoat. Also I would use the undercoat without any (grit) added to it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts