The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow, I'm taking my 5 year old daughter on an evening hunt for deer. This will be her first time going while I'm taking the gun. She's gone many times checking trailcams, scouting, and hiking with me, but never an actual hunt. The best part is that she asked me if she could go! Of course I said yes, but I was a little surprised when my wife said it would be a good idea. I thought I would be met with one of those "it might scar her" responses, but I guess she's starting to see, through me, what hunting is all about.

I've been looking forward to this moment for a few years now, and my daughter is showing all the signs that she's ready to go. Hopefully the weather cooperates so she doesn't have that to dampen her spirits. I'm not even concerned about getting a deer, I just hope she's able to see something that most people wouldn't see. Something like the Pine Martin I saw a few weeks ago, or a fox out mousing would be cool. A deer going home with us would just be a bonus.

She'll be wearing her green German hunting clothes and carrying my compact binnoculars. I'll have my camera, and will probably forget the gun

It's been more than 10 years since my older son and daughter started hunting, and I'm excited as heck to be continuing this tradition with my younger ones. Passing on this tradition has taken my hunting to a whole new level, and has added a dimension of excitement that I never knew before. It also gave me a great deal more appreciation and understanding for all that my dad and mom had done for me.

Here's to a New Beginning, and a continuation of the tradition

Waidmannsheil!

·
Super Moderator
28,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I intend to, Dave. I'm hoping she enjoys it all as well.

It's just about lunch time here, and this is all I can think about today. I'm keeping one eye on work and the other on the weather, which is pretty wet and windy at the moment but supposed to clear up in the afternoon.

·
Super Moderator
28,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We're back from her first hunt. We didn't see much in the way of wildlife, just some birds. But she is already asking about the next time she can go

She did great, sat relatively quiet, enjoyed searching for things with her binos, chomped on Chex Mix, and "shot" a bit with her squirt gun. All in all a great hunt for us both!!

I was hoping she'd get to see something out of the ordinary, and she did. Some guy came jogging out of the forest on a dirt road and then right in front of us, down the middle of the field.....barefoot

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
Congrats Bcoz!! Any time you get to spend outdoors with the little ones is cherished. I'm always amazed at some of the questions my kids ask me when we are out in the woods or in a treestand. They see things in a whole different light than we do.

·
Super Moderator
28,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They see things in a whole different light than we do.
Ain't that the truth. I was sitting quietly annoyed by the setting sun because it was shining in my eyes and making hard to see the one end of the field, but I never mentioned that to her. Then on the way home I asked her what she enjoyed most about the evening. Her answer, watching the sun go down behind the hill!
Thinking back to it, I did see a beautiful sunset tonight, but a little five year old girl reminded me how to enjoy it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts