The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I just got my concealed carry so that I can carry a pistol when bowhunting. I hunt private property so this will be for that .001 percent chance that a bear is going to try and make me dinner. What do you suggest as I have no idea about handguns.

Thanks

·
Registered
904 Posts
id suggest a revolver , as then you can hunt with it should you choose to. .357, .41, .44, 45 colt all are solid choices.
The ruger gp100 with a 6in barrel in .357 is a pretty decent piece.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I see you are not from Pa, so I would check your laws closely before you buy, you have some other things to consider as well, will this be a strictly hunting gun, or will it be a daily carry, if only hunting it would be pretty hard to beat a 44 Mag in the 6 inch barrel range. But not very well suited as a daily carry. If dual purpose I would look at the 357s in a 4 inch barrel. It’s pretty hard to find one handgun that takes care of every situation.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
hunt24/7 said:
Hey all,

What do you suggest as I have no idea about handguns.

Thanks
Not to be the internet police, but what I suggest is seeing if any of your local gun stores or ranges hold basic handgun courses for starters, and practice shooting alot.

And if I misread your post and you were just wondering about what handgun would be good I would suggest a 357 or above revolver.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.

I have a CT resident cc permit and am applying for a PA non-resident cc permit. I only worry about bears when bowhunting in PA(had a close call this fall) which is why I asked on this forum. I will only carry this gun when bowhunting and would prefer something smaller but powerful enough to deter an angry bear. I will purchase a different handgun to use as a hunting handgun.

I am very familiar with handguns in general as I have taken the NRA class and have shot 1,000 + rounds with my brother in-laws glock. He however doesn't hunt and didn't really have a good recommendation for a gun to carry while bowhunting.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
If you're serious about bear protection, I would not consider anything less than the 44 mag. and bigger would be better. 454casull, 460 s&w, etc. JMO.

·
Registered
211 Posts
If you need it only for bears, go with a 44mag or up. If you get something smaller, file the front site off so that it doesn't hurt as much when the bear shoves it up where the sun don't shine. good luck.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Biggie said:
If you need it only for bears, go with a 44mag or up. If you get something smaller, file the front site off so that it doesn't hurt as much when the bear shoves it up where the sun don't shine. good luck.

A guy I know and former member of HPA, told me he was on a guided bear hunt, tried to finish off a bear with a .357, all the slugs were just under the fat not very good penetration at all.

·
Registered
893 Posts
ruger or a smith in 44mag
Along with caliber , proper bullet is another consideration.
Hard casts would be the answer here.
ESP if you go 357

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I would like to hear about the close call with the bear.

IMO a close call would be knife range other than that you should be fine.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I would have to agree with born2hunt. If you're really worried about bears then bear spray would be the most effective deterrant. Backing that up with a handgun might be overkill but if it makes you feel better in the woods then so be it.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Ditto on the pepper spray. I talked to a NPS backcountry ranger at Glacier a few years back who has had to deal with a few bears. He said spray is the only way to go. Too much concentration, thinking, etc. is required to get off shots that are going to save your butt. He said your best hope with the handgun in a dire moment is that the sound gets them to backoff, which is not likely to happen.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
are we talking about Pennsylvania black bears or costal grizzly's? i'm lost again! I would like to hear of the close encounter here in Pa.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I can't quote the sources, but there have been instances of bear spray not stopping the bear, now these may have been grizzlies, I don't remember. However I would not rely on pepper spray alone, but not a bad idea to have it. If I was hiking or camping,etc in real bear country, I'd want both. A handgun is not the best tool to kill a bear (a rifle is) but at least it might give you a chance. As for the NPS ranger, I wonder if he's not in favor of "civilians" carrying guns in parks, (where legal of course), just wondering.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Bear spray will work. But if you want a pistol too remember to considr how much it weighs.It may not seem like much concern but after carrying it for awhile you'll be glad if you got a light one.

·
Super Moderator
12,480 Posts
700varmint said:
well after 2 days I guess a "close call" really was'nt? figures,,,I was waiting on a good story
Not a lot of close call stories out there with PA black bears. For the most part they are very shy. Even Mother bears with cubs often back off, snap their teeth or worse make a false charge. Most incidents occur when people panic and re-act with aggression towards the bear or run from the bear. Of course the number one risk comes with feeding bears.

TOO much trouble for me to carry around a 44 Mag. If I was worried I would carry pepper spray.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
B2H, I have been waiting for years on the "close call" story, 99% of the time its a greenhorn who over reacts to a bears natural ways, the other 1% are provoked but we never get the whole story. I love when out calling predators or hunting whatever and I have a bear encounter. they are amazing animals and not one time have I ever felt I was in a "close call" I had a bob cat at 2-3 feet once and didnt feel scared at all, bears at less than 10 yards to include a probable 2 year old male this year that was within spit distance, didnt feel that was a close call either. I said before a close call is knife range with teeth one milisecond from my bum. now that is close LOL

1 - 20 of 33 Posts