The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 11yr old daughter who has passed her hunter Ed course and has been driving me crazy to go deer hunting. Since I only hunt waterfowl I needed to get all of the gear again. Well I was finally able to find a crossbow this week for her and was planning on picking it up Sunday that's when I realized that archery goes out on Monday. I was hoping to get her out a little now before the craziness of rifle season.

I discovered that 5c and D have two more weeks for doe only. Neither are in my backyard but close enough. I want to get her out before she moves on to something else(like boys). My problem is that I know nothing of this area. I've hunted very close to the border but nothing in 5c.

If anyone could help point me in the right direction of even where to begin. I've looked up the gamelands and other public spots but not sure if there is a better way to go to avoid some high pressure areas.
I'm not looking to take someone's spot or skip out on having to do the work of scouting. I was caught off guard with her wanting to go and really want to try and get her out hopefully to at least see a deer. If someone has a spot with an extra doe running around I could trade them with a duck or a goose hunt in pa or nj including sea ducks. Once again thank you.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm willing to go to any of it for my daughter but Chester and berks county would be the closest parts

·
Registered
852 Posts
There is the state games lands in chester and you have the state park you can hunt. There is also evansburg state park in Montgomery county. Good luck to you and your daughter.

·
Registered
670 Posts
41 MagFan said:
There is also a game land on hawk mountian in Berks.
The SGL near Hawk Mountian are above 78, and as result are not in 5c, but actually in 4c. Berks is broken into 3 WMU's. GRRRRR!!!!

SGL 205 in Lehigh has a lot deer, and abutts Trexler's game preserve which has an area open for archery hunting, but does get some hunting pressure There's a tract of SGL near Kutztown that has a decent deer population , but has some hunting pressure. There's a broken set SGL in the Pikeville area, and there's Lake Oauntlanee, which also gets some pressure.

Good luck and if you have questions PM me.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
USF94 said:
Do you have an antlerless tag?
Yes I have a tag for 5c.

Thank you to everyone who had suggestions the help is appreciated. I'm going to go check out a gamelands in berks tomorrow am that I was told might work. Nothing beats a little boot time to answer my questions. It's been over ten years since I've scouted for deer, enjoyed it as a kid, hope I don't forget what deer sign looks like!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I am glad I read this, I missed the extended anterless archery season. I sent PM with some nice public areas. Best of luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts