The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hung my deer cam out again this past week, just to gauge any deer movement just prior to the season opener. Retrieved it this morning. Cam was out for 3 days and only two deer were captured. One was a potential 6 point, but his right antler was gone at the base of his skull (could he have dropped it this soon, or do you surmise fighting caused it? This deer was literally a foot and a half from the camera when he got his picture taken. It was around 2:00am on the 26th. The other was a dim sunset photo of what appeared to be a large doe about 50 yards distant along the woods edge. Last time I hung the camera was just prior to bow season starting. I had captured 4 different bucks then. There is a hunt club that owns the woods just to the north of the field I'm going to be hunting over. Wondering if some of the guys who hunt there culled those bucks. I hope not. The buck I saw was legal, but I'd really like to take a buck with two antlers.

·
Banned
110 Posts
3 days really isn't enough time to gauge movement. I've had days where there were dozens of deer on the camera, and then 3 days with out any. Just depends.

We run at least a dozen cameras pretty much year round. I like cameras, and they have helped us a lot, but they are by no means everything. Deer can easily walk behind a camera and you would never see them.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know 3 days isn't a long time, but I don't like to leave it up for longer than that due to theft issues on this land. Another hunter we know there has had two of his stolen. He left them for long periods and they both walked away. I conceal mine and just pull it out after only a couple days to minimize this.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
3 days is not enough time to confirm any deer movement. Your doing more harm then good going in and out every 3 days leaving human scent. We run about 22-25 cameras. The first time we put them out they dont get touched for 3-4 weeks.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I had a camera out mid Oct. On way in to my stand that morning (darkness) I noticed a fresh rub on a small maple tree just few feet behind the camera. Mid day I checked the camera. I didn't get him on camera. I had days had no deer photos. Doesn't mean there not there.

We witnessed deer walking in front of our trail cameras while on stand and thought we got there pictures. Not all did we get. Some were just out of range a couple feet. Like the cameras we are using. Saids up to 100' detection? Not even close to that. Test mode setting up camera trigger motion the green light doesn't blink after 15 yards =45 feet.

Good luck to you...

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
3 days is not enough time to confirm any deer movement. Your doing more harm then good going in and out every 3 days leaving human scent. We run about 22-25 cameras. The first time we put them out they dont get touched for 3-4 weeks.
You've misread my post. I didn't say I go in every three days. I put the camera out three times in as many months. I'm not checking movement as much as I'm checking what is in the area. I know I'd get better indications had I left it out, but again due to theft issues I won't risk that.

Besides, the place we hunt is on a property near a working airport on the south side, a farm to the west, and a mushroom house just west of that. All these properties border our stands. Trust me these deer are used to people being around. I doubt it would bother them even if I did enter the area every three days.

·
Banned
813 Posts
Just remember that the deer have to walk in front of the camera it doesn't mean anything if you don't get pics. I put a cam out in a spot on Oct. 31st. during bow season and hunted it 3 times. I watched 3 bucks pass within 10 yards of the cam and another 4 bucks pass within 40 yards of it and not one deer stepped in front of it over the 5 day time period. Now I own 20 + cams and totally addicted to them but if I judged that spot based on that camera I wouldn't have harvested this buck ( which also didn't step in front of that cam)

·
Super Moderator
7,841 Posts
How the cam is positioned is very important in getting images.

I try very hard to get the camera looking either at deer coming toward it or deer going away from it and not perpendicular to deer travel. It gives the trigger/sensors that much more leeway to catch and see the movement.

I also put my cams on video so that I see what really goes on. I have several vids this year of deer I'd never have seen because they trailed the initial deer coming through by enough to not be in the pic, but not enough to be in the next set of pics (all cams have a lock out, even if only 5 seconds, between taking a pic/vid and when they'll be able to be triggered again).

Is your cam setup conducive to getting them on the camera (as above)? Not being a smart aleck...it took me a while to start doing the stuff above, and I get a lot more deer on camera than when I started. I don't think there's more deer, I think my cam setup is just better than when I got into it.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Cameras can be great tools but don't rely on themy too much. The buck I end up shooting aren't the ones I see on cam throughout the year. While hunting I have seen deer walk at just the right path to miss the cam. Don't be discouraged, especially since it's only been 3 days

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
I hung my deer cam out again this past week, just to gauge any deer movement just prior to the season opener. Retrieved it this morning. Cam was out for 3 days and only two deer were captured. One was a potential 6 point, but his right antler was gone at the base of his skull (could he have dropped it this soon, or do you surmise fighting caused it? This deer was literally a foot and a half from the camera when he got his picture taken. It was around 2:00am on the 26th. The other was a dim sunset photo of what appeared to be a large doe about 50 yards distant along the woods edge. Last time I hung the camera was just prior to bow season starting. I had captured 4 different bucks then. There is a hunt club that owns the woods just to the north of the field I'm going to be hunting over. Wondering if some of the guys who hunt there culled those bucks. I hope not. The buck I saw was legal, but I'd really like to take a buck with two antlers.
Don't take offense to this but I am going to guess that you have not gotten a deer in several years. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
774 Posts
I have had cams out for 3 months at a spell sometimes , often I will get ONE image of a buck, then never again. And never see it dead or alive. Bucks move around a lot to find does. Sometimes in the mountains the time between pictures is days, where they have a larger range. Shoot the deer you see.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Its been a while yes, but what difference does that make? I will admit to being new to the deer cam scene.

It does not make any. Let me ask you this, handling them with hands? Leaving scent on them? Hang a few more.
Do not get discouraged, bucks travel, sometimes many miles for no reason. It is not what you are seeing on camera, but
the amount of time spent hunting. I know lot's of guys who shoot deer they never seen before. Keep hunting.

·
Registered
849 Posts
This year no different from last year. I bet I got 30 plus bucks on camera in the month of middle of August-Sept. We have 7 cameras out. Only 3 bucks were not legal, but I kept getting pictures of the same spike almost daily. As for the other bucks? I got more pictures same bucks but not as many as I did with the spike.

3rd week in Sept. all the action died. (Bucks that is) Cameras came to life around Halloween. Yup different bucks. Got slow again up till the 13th-14th of Nov. and on the 20th and 21st the cameras were exploding. I will add they were all night videos and pictures at that time. Not 1 buck was the same deer I have gotten in Aug.-Sept. I ask myself why do I do this trail camera thing? We have not seen the same bucks in deer season. Its an exciting hobby and its fun.

We run mostly video, pictures are kool but to have on video a grunting buck sniffing the ground walking in circles searching for that hot doe is even kooler. That reminds me on the 21st Nov. have 5 different bucks sniffing the ground going back and fourth, grunting away after 2 doe walked by the camera all within an hour. Even gotten video's doe walking by camera and the buck minutes later nose to the ground going the wrong way LOL.

You will have some good days and some not so good. When I first started this I learned from my mistakes. Spray the camera and strap not the lens and the tree with cover up scent. Don't touch anything on the ground kneeling down etc. I wear scent free boots but still spray my boots with cover up scent and we also rub a couple trees near by the camera with ever calm. In the summer months we use sawyer spray on the cameras too. It prevents siders making a nest. Why sawyers? its the only bug spray that does not smell plus we use it on our hunting clothes for them nasty ticks.

What makes it even more interesting with trail cameras is after the season ends seeing how many survived the hunting season. It builds you up looking forward to next year. Yes we get some same bucks we gotten in the late summer show up starting late Dec.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts