The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17,062 Posts
The only truely cold weather hunting iv'e done has been up in Canada, and i'll admit i was worried about sitting all day in subzero conditions with no heat. I knew our first day was going to be about 15 below warming to 5 below. I had a heavy set of bibs, a heavy parka, boot blankets, and a heavy facemask. Plenty of handwarmers too. I also had one of those heeter body suits, not that brand but the same concept. I decided that if i got cold i'd put the body suit on or walk the trail back and forth till i got warmed up. I was hunting in the woods, sitting in a shanty, so wind wasn't a problem. Turned out i never need my body suit or had to walk to keep warm, i was pleasently surprised. Also sitting in that shanty i could move around a little without worry so that helped. Also we were gun hunting. Ended up that hunting under those conditions ended up being a big part of why enjoy hunting up there, more of an added challange from the elements to deal with i guess.

I'm not sure i could do bowhunting in a tree stand under those conditions.

·
Registered
20,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Saw the same 5 as yesterday. They didn't come within range this time.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Was 9* this morning and had a work commitment, darn it. But went out at 2 this afternoon. Suburban tornado ravaged area. Bumped 3 seperate mature doe on the way in. Had doe and 2 fawn about 60 y bedded down then took off when a small 6pt bedded down about 50 y away in the first half hour. At 4:45 it got busy. A herd of 6 fawns, 2 of them button bucks and 2 yearlings came running in from the neighboring development. Then the 6 pt and a spike joined in for the next half hour milling around and browsing within 20-40 yards. Could have had a choice of several of them. Holding out for one of the several big bucks on camera late last week. Hope to get out a few days after work and Sat next week to wrap it up. May consider a doe the last day.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts