The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two mondays ago, January 7th, a friend and i decided we were going to go out and duck hunt for a first time. He had a boat and a few decoys that we were able to use so we decided to go out on the river. this being our first time we did not really know what to expect but we figured we could teach ourselves somewhat and get a little experience. so the first day we went out at daybreak to pick an island and build a blind since it was our first time. we got set up and ducks were flying everywhere. we were seeing a lot of ducks but could not get and to lock on to the decoys. finally around 10am a lone mallard locked on to the decoys but we both missed shooting at our first duck. but i was instantly hooked. i ended up going every single day until yesterday, the end of the season. it was a lot of 4am wake ups but it was all worth it. as the week went on we were learning more every day. we did end up getting a few ducks in the end. after this week i am hooked on duck hunting and can not wait for next season as i will be more prepared. here are a few pictures from the week.

·
Registered
363 Posts
yep, get ready to open that wallet, and to get in some fights with the locals. I live on that section of river, and theres some boneheads that think they own the whole section (not me). Early season through Christmas is the worst.........think I ran into your blind in the second pic when I was deer hunting the islands. you might want to hunt the tips of the islands instead of tucked in that pocket, I make out much better when the deks stand out. I also used to hunt those grass patches in the middle out from there, used to be REALLY good hunting, thats until guys cut the vegitation down to build a blind, and then you had no cover. Best way to hunt those is to build a blind onto your boat, cover it with natural veg, and then tuck it up in there as far as possible. Last tip, get some goose floaters, and get rid of those ducks. From time to time, there is a ton of geese. I only use goose floaters there, and the ducks decoy just as well to those if not better than duck decoys, they stick out better. Good luck to you!!!!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah we ran into one guy the one day who was very mean. We did end up close to him but it was dark and could not see him. It was an honest mistake as I am not one that would like to hunt anywhere near someone else. But he had to come down and completely freak out without even asking us anything before hand. Like I said it was an honest mistake. He could have said nicely that he was hunting above and was there first. But instead he came down and went on a rant about how we are a disgrace to all hunters. I like to think that when I hunt I am as ethical as I can be and would never intrude on another hunter but he automatically assumed everything. But yes, as the week went on me moved to the tips of the islands and started having a lot more success. Thanks for the tips!!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
we did hunt the grass patches before the river went up and had ALOT of action. we missed a lot of ducks. not used to shooting at birds that fast

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Here's another guy hooked!

My advice ........
- Hope you have a good job to support this costly sport.
- You need two vehicles; One truck/SUV to haul all your stuff. One car that gets 40 mpg to run around and scout.
- A wife as good as mine that doesn't see me or our son from September to the beginning of March.
- Did I mention lots of money?
- Might as well buy your License next year for PA, MD & DE. It helps triple your chances at getting waterfowl plus one of the states always has something in season.

Good Luck Partner!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts