The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this Thread up in the Turkey Forum but after further thought I knew some readers here in the Spirit of the Hunt Forum maybe dont visit Turkey Hunting would also enjoy.. so i posted here for your read as this wasn't just a run of the mill turkey hunt in many respects. For those who have read my post up in Turkey hunting i sincerely thank you for all your kind feedback, your read time, thoughts etc. & very best wishes to you for a great season!!

Loggy Bags Fall Turkey With A Lil Help (I think)!!

Hunted out of my Sullivan County Camp Sat & Monday. Sat I covered many miles in the heavy rain(AM) & the afternoon. Couldnt locate any turkey not find any fresh sign. Only one turkey weighed in at Hillsgrove store on Sat. Not a good day.

Monday i decided to hunt an area of Lycoming State Forest where my Dad while on the Earth killed quite a few turkeys. It was the mountain where I killed my first deer & where Dad killed his last which I helped drag out just before cancer took Dad back in 1987.

While hiking up the Mtn Monday I was recollecting all the fine times i spent with Dad in this God given paradise. To add to this hunt I was wearing Dad's ole Weinbrenner Woods-N-Stream boots he bot about 2 years before he passed to guide me to his favorite hunting grounds about 2-3 miles up the mountain.. Mom said Dad felt bad about spending $25 hard woodworkers dollars for those boots. Makes me feel a lil guilty about my Danners costing 10 time that.

On with the hunt. There were no vehicles parked in the access area so i knew there likely was no one hunting the mountain. After about 1-2 miles up the mtns I heard a faint yelp that was barely audable. I pulled my Cody Woods Slate out & yelped a few time, waited & nothing. I then started to slowly proceed up the mtn & then I heard the turkey yelp again...a lil closer. I immediately set-up in frt of a big tree in some heavy hemlock/grape vine cover. I called again on my Cody & the turkey answered again & was on the move down the mtn towards me. I called again & nothing. I then mixed it up with my Madd Ship Wreck mouth call. Immediately got another answer. This back & forth went on for about 1/2 hour. I was mixing things up, using silent treatment & anything else up my sleeve..

Then I was looking thru the thicket & I saw the turkey but just its head with neck/body behind tree. It looked like around 40 yards. I then put my safe off & was ready. I waited for about 1 minute(seemed like an eternity) & then the turkey stepped out offering me a good neck/head shot. I centered my Tru-Glo Aimpoint F.O. on the head/neck & squeezed off and sent a load of 12 Ga. 3.5 Mag HV Federal no. 5's on its way. The sound of my shot roared down the mtn lauder than I ever can remember. The turkey flopped for about 10 seconds & that was it.

I stepped shot off & it was 51 yards. A lil further than I like but tuff to estimate range in the Big Mtns where shots are many time a lil longer than in the low country. Plus, I was comfortable what my Browning with Briley Ext Ex Full choke can do with the Federal FliteControl load. Turkey's head/neck was hammered w/neck broken!! (see pic below)

I know I didnt break the flock & know whose boots lead me to a successful hunt. I would like to dedicate this turkey to Dad feeling in my heart that he played a part in my hunt. To what extent I will never know. Also, thanks Dad for teaching me to be a good woodsman/sportsman.

Me & Turkey (15 LB Hen)

Turkey & Browning At Camp

Turkey Head

Dad's Ole Weinbrenner Woods-N-Streams w/screwed Vibrmans!!

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Cngrats Loggy!!! Great pics and story, I will never doubt the help from your Dad. Thanks for sharing it all with us.

·
Premium Member
24,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RoosterBooster said:
Cngrats Loggy!!! Great pics and story, I will never doubt the help from your Dad. Thanks for sharing it all with us.
Thanx Rooster. You know as well as I do postin some of this stuff is typed through blurred tears but our heartfelt posts do much to further our sport & bond us true sportsmen.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Loggy said:
Thanx Rooster. You know as well as I do postin some of this stuff is typed through blurred tears but our heartfelt posts do much to further our sport & bond us true sportsmen.
And sometimes read through blurred tears by the end...

·
Super Moderator
26,961 Posts
Thanks for the great story. No doubt you where receiving help form above!!

·
Premium Member
24,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All your kind comments much appreciated.

Talonracer, Amen!! Enjoy time with your Dad!!

I will never forget the May 1987 Turkey Season. My Dad was near the end with pancreatic cancer (same type Michael Landon lost his courageous battle with). No symptons, no way to detect...until too late.

Dad wanted me to take him up Camp first weekend of 1987 Spring Season but he was in really bad shape. He needed a step stool just to get in his ole chevy pick-up due to his legs swelling. I talked to Mom & she convinced me not to take Dad up. Likely a good decision but I was ready to take him. As I look back I sorta wish I would of. No way Dad coulda hunted but a few precious days in Camp. He died 2 weeks later at a young age of 53.

So, if you have a precious Dad or another that you love huntin with or spending time with in the great outdoors....get out there with them....its what this is all about!!

·
Premium Member
24,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks much guys. Im about to leave for a Pa Bear hunt which will again certainly refresh many memories huntin with Dad. The ole picture in my Camp of Dad with a 383 pound bear he killed back in 1963 will be viewed more than once by me in the next coming days!

My bear huntin trips are always memorable & 100% successful regardless of a kill or not. Its amazing...some memories seem to flash back that i never had before.

Very best of luck to you all!

·
Registered
889 Posts
I know how you feel but i still have my dad to enjoy hunts with but not sure for how long....i will enjoy them all and everyday i have with him will be memorable ones.

·
Premium Member
24,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jim35 said:
I know how you feel but i still have my dad to enjoy hunts with but not sure for how long....i will enjoy them all and everyday i have with him will be memorable ones.
Jim, best wishes for many, many fine hunts with your Dad! I remember/treasure all mine with Dad despite losin him way too early... back in 1987 over 20 years ago.

·
Premium Member
24,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Reading Nuge's fine posting honoring his Dad has "nuged" me to go back & refresh a post!

Im still searching for my Thread years ago i put up re Dad's Last hunt...more later!

I love Dad honorin posts, hunt reports etc!! So precious to poster plus in sharing may initiate others to post also bout times with DAD!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts