The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my son has been a pick-up truck guy since he could walk so as he approached 16 it should not been of no surprise to me that getting a truck to call his own and put some sweat equity into would entirely take over his life and mind. As a sophomore in HS he has chose to follow this love into the automotive field and is currently enrolled in auto-body tech through the school’s career center , so he is spending half his school day in the body shop and the other hitting the books. He is doing well in fact took 4th at the Skills USA competition as a sophomore with only a couple months of teaching has a knack and passion for it no doubt.

Anyway every night since Sept or so, I would come thru the door after work and be shown a daily line up of 1980-90s trucks all over PA and elsewhere. Some were too good to be true (aka scams), some were gone before we called, some had all the work done already ans a price to match, some were sold before we could get there to look, some had one issue we could not get past....it was a long process but also fine tuned what we wanted, strong mechanically from 80-90's, but needing some cosmetic TLC that could train John on plenty of aspects of restoration.

Fast forward to mid February and a planned trip down to see my folks, well this opened up some new turf to look over for trucks available and with a willing Pap to go test out a few before we got down there we searched. The requirements, good frame, good engine, no rust thrus…along comes this 1984 Chevy shortbed, professionally rebuilt 350 engine, dual exhaust , new stereo (old one was AM/FM cassette I bet LOL) with 3” body lift, and some extras. Along with the strong frame and strong engine , some new panels that just never got finish work. The guy we bought it from got it from his Dad when he passed, his dad rebuilt the engine and now he simply did not have time or money to finish the project and therefore the PERFECT fit for a budding autobody guy who has a body shop, tools, materials and great instruction at his disposal until early June when school ends anyway.

So Presidents day weekend the deal was done, and we brought home John’s first truck,driving it 150 miles no issues. It is a thirsty thing much like my 2009 and will be more project than a daily driver because of that, but I am sure it will get its miles on these back roads , Friday night football games, hunting season, running into town for some stuff …etc.. Closer to finishing he plans to show it in two local car shows as well later in Summer. the plan is it will be a solid red color, with a white pinstripe when done (high school’s colors red and white).

The tailgate went in first and has been sanded and is all ready for prime and paint, and the truck currently is getting a full mechanical lookover at a local garage that specializes in lifted and older vehicles, so far nothing major, and we continue to cross our fingers there.

Anyway thought you guys would like to see the <span style="font-size: 20pt">before </span>of this truck so you can appreciate the after once reached, and one happy kid who got the blank canvas he has wanted since he was 5 years old, he always loved the old boxy Chevy's…I am as excited as he is to see it come together, and as always wanted to take my HPA brothers along for the ride.

John with truck

Mine and his back home and sharing a driveway.

Interior

motor

Stance

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
What!?! No HPA sticker!

I remember him pestering the heck out of you at the HPA pheasant hunt to look at some truck a couple hours away. Good for him. I look forward to seeing the work in progress.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Buckethead said:
What!?! No HPA sticker!

I remember him pestering the heck out of you at the HPA pheasant hunt to look at some truck a couple hours away. Good for him. I look forward to seeing the work in progress.
LOL it got one when we got home...one of the first things he did.
As We did have to peel a couple old ones off too...the "hows my driving, 1-800-eat and Gas......,no one rides for free. I am serious there both were on there.

We did keep the PA terrorist hunter permit one and all parts/race related ones.

And yes that is about when the search started..

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
InVenangoNow said:
Great classic body style. I can't wait to see the progress.
Why is he smiling from ear to ear?
Cause i just forgave his auto loan...LOL

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Very cool. Brings back memories .
Good luck with the restoration. Easy to work on.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BOOTOXEN said:
Very cool. Brings back memories .
Good luck with the restoration. Easy to work on.
We got the LMC Truck restoration catalog today,about 100 pages flagged already ...LOL

Thanks all for the comments, John says thanks too....he took about 10 pics of the tailgate as he worked on in it at shop on his phone, he will have a full album of the restoration when he is done , step by step I am sure.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Cool! very similar to my first truck, except it is a 77 F150 that was in about that shape when I got it........I drove it around like that for a few years, then had to park it when I went to college as it drank gas like all get out.....

I finally got around to doing the resto/mod thing with it a couple of years ago, and now it sits in the garage and only comes out on the nice days......

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Nice looking ride for the young man. What a great project to undertake. Have fun!

I did a roadtrip with a buddy and his son last year. He was looking for a Trans Am. We left on a Friday for Altoona. Went to Washington DC to look at one on Saturday morning, and then back to Pittsburgh to look at one on Sat evening. They drove back to Warren that night. My buddy and I did most of the driving as his son scoured the net on his smart phone looking up possible stops. The next weekend they went out to Cleveland to look at a couple. i think they found the car they bought out in York. How things have changed since we looked for our first car. LOL

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Nothing like your 1st vehicle!

Looking forward to seeing the project progressing.

Took me back 20 years when my father bought my son at the age of 16 a Mustang with a solid body and transmission. Shared many hours with him, along with Dad bringing it back to life with another engine, some other accessories and a new coat of paint. Took a few pics, wish we would have taken more.

Congrats on the truck!

·
Administrator
28,496 Posts
Chrome stacks coming up through the bed, right behind the cab. Tractor trailor style! Gotta have 'em!

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oilcrk said:
Looks like a Gas card....may be in his future
As is a job,no credit card for gas, debit/cash only. No work , no drive...of course he will likely work parttime at a local body shop during HS so win/win.

I want to raise a republican so I bought him a shotgun, a truck, making him get a job to hate giving hard earned money to the Govt. for nothing, and we send him to church on Sunday to keep him a nice kid overall. Truthfully it is alot easier,less complicated, and more enjoyable than raising an enlightened and politically correct democrat that gets 42 mpg and think he owes his "fair share"....LOL

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
Sweet truck hope he has fun putting it together again and paying the gas bill

·
Registered
15,144 Posts
good luck to him with that truck can't wait to see the finished porduct.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts