The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<u>A Hunters Thanksgiving</u>

For most folks its Christmas or maybe the Fourth of July that are the most anticipated holidays of the year. However Thanksgiving is by far my favorite holiday. A time to give thanks for all that we have. A time to for friends and family to gather again, for yet another feast. However it’s the smell of a musty sleeping bag or fresh mink oil on a pair of boots that I cherish most. The brimming excitement, in the eyes of both young and old. A few short days away from the daily grind that we all look forward to.

I just love the feel of well worn walnut and cold steel that only we understand. The tattered jacket that fits like a glove. The days around Thanksgiving are full of last minute preparations for the following Monday. The stream of family and friends that filter in through the weekend, the new additions to the group with bright eyes and most importantly, fresh legs! Then there’s the sleepless night the never seems to end. The hurried breakfast and rush out the door. The procession of headlights heading to the woods. The handshakes and well wishes, that precede the familiar walk to a favorite stand. And whose heart doesn’t pound at the first sound of crunching leaves in the stillness of the early morning? How about the first shot that shatters the silence as the season begins? The ever busy Nuthatch, that helps to pass the time.

For some odd reason I look forward to the long uphill drag! Each season it takes just a little longer! With any luck, the afternoon will be spent pushing for friends, and just taking it all in. I’ll anxiously await the groups return and hopefully share in their success. Stories will be told, each time growing just a little taller and friendly ribbing will be served to those who missed.

This special time only comes once a year, so enjoy it to the fullest. Before we know it, it will be gone for yet another twelve long months and all we’ll be left with are the memories made. So for the sights and sound and smells of the season, I truly do give thanks!!

Good Luck to all! Be safe and shoot straight!

BONZ
11-26-08

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Bonz once again dead on !
Wishing you and your crew a safe and memorable hunting season.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Great post. Just thinking about hearing that first shot gave me the chills!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I found myself telling my wife yesterday that Thanksgiving is without a doubt my most favorite holiday, for all the reasons you listed. Great post, and good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts